Dog siezures

Bob Peters

I heard yesterday they think my brothers dog has had a few seizures. Have you ever seen a dog have one, and what should you do if it happens? It sounds like the dog didn't shake or anything, but they could see it in his eyes somehow?

I heard yesterday they think my brothers dog has had a few seizures. Have you ever seen a dog have one, and what should you do if it happens? It sounds like the dog didn't shake or anything, but they could see it in his eyes somehow?

Mine just has fits sometimes. Fits of ridiculousness. Impossible to not notice.

I've only known one dog that had seizures and his were caused by head trauma during a home robbery. In that dogs case, we just sat with him until it passed.

My Golden that passed on last fall had seizures most of this life. Episodes lasted about five minutes. His body shook and his eyes rolled back.. Not a pretty sight and rather frightening for us. We stroked and talked to him and eventually he came out of it.

I had a Brittany several years ago that had seizures once in awhile. The vet said that as long as they didn't occur very often to not worry too much about it. My dog would just start feeling really strange and scared. He would run to me and want to be in my lap. The vet told me that when this happened to just stay very calm, turn down the lights and tv/radio and just comfort him. It only seemed to last a few minutes and then he was over it.

The day after Christmas 2023, my 3 yr old female lab was sleeping soundly on an ottoman in our living room, when all of a sudden, she woke up, jumped to the floor, starting spinning like something was biting her on the haunches, tried to run across the room dragging her rear end, then went into what we suspect was a grand mal seizure for about two minutes. When she came out of that, she layed on the floor on her stomach, looking scared and confused until she got her wits about her.

We immediately called the vet's office and they told us they were open, but the vet wasnt expected in until 2:30. As soon as we got off the phone, my lab went into another seizure. We've never seen her have a seizure before. I thought she was acting like she was poisoned, so we loaded her up and high tailed it to the vet's office. Before we got to the clinic, she had come out of the seizing and was sitting up on her own and watching traffic pass.

When we got to the clinic, she got out of the vehicle and walked in on her own power, wagging her tail and acting like nothing happened. The vet tech told us the vet was still out but was expected back in about 45 mins, and asked us to leave her there for them to examine her. The vet called us about an hour later to tell us the physical exam was normal, blood work was normal, and her eyes looked fine and appeared to be responsinve.

We picked her up that afternoon with instructions to monitor her and document any further seizure activity.

For several weeks after that, I noticed she constantly licks her lips and yawns after she wakes up form a nap, i'd say every minute or so. When she sleeps, she doesnt yawn and lick her lips.

We have only seen her have one more gran mal seizure, which occured 30 days after the first one. Since my wife and I both work, it is possible she has had more and we just werent around to witness them. However, when she is in a deep sleep, I often notice her kicking and twitching and making sounds similar to when she was seizing, but she comes to whenever I pet her in her sleep.

Had a Brit that would have them. Got them about 4 times a year. After awhile she would recognize them coming and cling to us. Doc also told us there wasn’t anything to help other than making sure she was safe while it happened. They sure were scary when they happened.

1 of my springers had seizures, started around 5 years old, happened every 12 days or so, lasted about 2 minutes couldn't walk shaking. As he got a couple of years older, he had them every day while walking, took him to Vet started him on daily tablets of phenosomething. Seizures diminished greatly over time, and near the end he was off the meds completely. Scary shit

1 of my springers had seizures, started around 5 years old, happened every 12 days or so, lasted about 2 minutes couldn't walk shaking. As he got a couple of years older, he had them every day while walking, took him to Vet started him on daily tablets of phenosomething. Seizures diminished greatly over time, and near the end he was off the meds completely. Scary shit
There are a couple of neurological diseases in labs that are hereditary but can be tested for and avoided by not breeding affected dogs
It may cost extra for a health guarantee from the breeder on tested parents but IMO worth the $$ in saved future vet bill and your peace of mind & stress/anxiety . EIC (exercise induced collapse) is the most common
A Google search can give more info

phenobarbital?

I had a female setter that had them fairly often . I even had to give her mouth to snout once cause she quit breathing. Vet called them EIC seizures. Exercise induced, but low blood sugar was one of the culprits. Always was crazy excited once the tires hit gravel. Just get crazy slobbering ready to go excited. So before I would leave the house I would get her out and give her about 2 or 3 good squirts of Karo syrup or maple syrup. Just something really sweet. She was fine after as long as she hunted first. Put her on the ground and hunt her for 2 or 3 hours . She would get a little wobbly sometimes and I always carried packs of honey from kfc if she did. But seemed to take care of them . She was an outstanding dog. Died of bladder cancer at 9. Good girl she was.

I had a female setter that had them fairly often . I even had to give her mouth to snout once cause she quit breathing. Vet called them EIC seizures. Exercise induced, but low blood sugar was one of the culprits. Always was crazy excited once the tires hit gravel. Just get crazy slobbering ready to go excited. So before I would leave the house I would get her out and give her about 2 or 3 good squirts of Karo syrup or maple syrup. Just something really sweet. She was fine after as long as she hunted first. Put her on the ground and hunt her for 2 or 3 hours . She would get a little wobbly sometimes and I always carried packs of honey from kfc if she did. But seemed to take care of them . She was an outstanding dog. Died of bladder cancer at 9. Good girl she was.
Sounds more like Hypoglycemia Than seizures.

There are a couple of neurological diseases in labs that are hereditary but can be tested for and avoided by not breeding affected dogs
It may cost extra for a health guarantee from the breeder on tested parents but IMO worth the $$ in saved future vet bill and your peace of mind & stress/anxiety . EIC (exercise induced collapse) is the most common
A Google search can give more info
Unless I missed something no one has said it was a lab. Seizures are unfortunately fairly common in all breeds. Plus EIC would be nearly impossible to confuse with seizures. Not sure what you are trying to say?

Last edited:
Had a lot of experience dealing with seizures on 2 different wirehairs. The first were major grand mal types with a healthy 6 or 7 yo. Hers were brought on by over excitement physically and emotionaly by something as simple as going for a walk. Seemed to have something to do with crashing her blood sugar levels.
I was able to keep it under control/manage it once I understoood what was going on. At the first sign of her sliding in that direction, she would immediately get handfuls of ice cream if I was close to the house (hagendas was her preferred...) .....in the field I would carry the little squirt tubes of glucose.
The main thing was just dialing down her energy level....a lot of heal and walk before letting her roll.
Those grandmal seizures will flat blow you away the first few times. Eyes go blue, tongue hangs out, and they will scratch out a 4" deep trench in the gravel with their feet. You think it's the end......as was statdd earlier, just keep them safe while they go thru it and then it can be a few hours to half a day before they are back to normal. It really hammered my poor Ella.

A second female developed them later on in life....again, full grandmal but a notch or 2 below the other dog. My vet was able to prescribe a medication for her that pretty much resolved her seizures.
Meds were not an option for the excitement induced/ crashing blood sugar levels in the first dog.

Hope that helps someone else...I was pretty much on my own with the first dog.

I've seen a dog have what I was told was a Grand Mal seizure once. The person that told it was Grand Mal seizure had no medical training other than she was a Pharmacist. The dog was very stiff with a some uncontrolled leg, and jaw movement. It only lasted maybe a minute or so, the dog was visibly scared but otherwise fine after. In no way could you confuse this with EIC (I've seen EIC). The dog was a rescue and at least a heinz 57, Gretchen is still alive at a best guess of 16 years old.

I've seen a dog have what I was told was a Grand Mal seizure once. The person that told it was Grand Mal seizure had no medical training other than she was a Pharmacist. The dog was very stiff with a some uncontrolled leg, and jaw movement. It only lasted maybe a minute or so, the dog was visibly scared but otherwise fine after. In no way could you confuse this with EIC (I've seen EIC). The dog was a rescue and at least a heinz 57, Gretchen is still alive at a best guess of 16 years old.
Don't quote me....and I don't think I'm confused ...but, I think EIC can and does progress into seizures. My second dog had full blown on the ground seizures that had nothing to do with EIC.
The first dog had seizures that were far worse and definitely seemed to be EIC related. Many minutes of on the ground spinning, digging.....eyes going blue ....basically, everything I have heard what a major seizure looks like.
The main point I want to convey is it can be managed and to a large degree prevented if you know what you are dealing with.
Not all vets are going to be up to speed on our hunting dogs , so it behooves us to stay informed and open to experiences others have had.

Don't quote me....and I don't think I'm confused ...but, I think EIC can and does progress into seizures. My second dog had full blown on the ground seizures that had nothing to do with EIC.
The first dog had seizures that were far worse and definitely seemed to be EIC related. Many minutes of on the ground spinning, digging.....eyes going blue ....basically, everything I have heard what a major seizure looks like.
The main point I want to convey is it can be managed and to a large degree prevented if you know what you are dealing with.
Not all vets are going to be up to speed on our hunting dogs , so it behooves us to stay informed and open to experiences others have had.
Don’t know that labs only are susceptible to EIC- could be all breeds There is another neurological disease CNM I think is how it is referred to but don’t know what it stands for
I think it is Univ of Minnesota that was testing for it 20 ish years ago but info has probably greatly increased since then
When I get a new pup I make sure the dam & sire have been tested and cleared for hips/eyes/Eic reducing the chance of my pup getting them

If going completley stiff, horrible shaking , eyes rolling back in her head, and total confusion for a couple hours isnt a seizure, as well as 3 vets opinions , I dont know what it was then. The one time she completely stopped breathing and I had to do the mouth to snout resuscitation. Very scary for a minute or so untill she started to come back. Call it whatever you wish, but none the less, I will go with what the vets said.

Haretrigger your dog sounds exactly like what mine did. Excited to the point of crashing blood levels . And they did lead into seizures. The vets told me to keep something sweet on me at all times. You could see it start to happen. She would get wobbly and walk like she was stomping her paws. If you didnt get her the stuff then she would go into those seizures soon . Luckily she knew it herself and would always come close to where I was. But for a big running setter it wasnt always the case. Gps helped me find her more than once in full blown attack. It was awful but she really loved hunting and was a very good bird finder.

Back