Dog Question

el_jefe_83

First Post Gents hoping to get some input.

I'm looking for a GSP to be a good family dog and want to be able to hunt birds with in the future. We have a golden retriever that is 6 years old and he plays fetch and listens (most the time) but doesn't really strike me as the dog that will retrieve birds he's very ADD. Is it to late to train him?

We had to put down our Jack Russell earlier this year due to age and health and are looking at getting a second dog for him to socialize with and be a part of the family. I've always wanted a GSP and like the Idea of training him to retrieve. Would my "non trained" golden be a bad influence on a new pup being trained?

I haven't Phesant hunted in my adulthood but as a kid I was able to go a couple of times with friends. I loved it, but grew up with a Mother that was anti guns.
Little back story, I grew up in NE Oregon with parents that were anti guns. So what did i do when I turned 18? I joined the Army and rebelled and took advantage of things i felt deprived of. Now in my 30's I have a daughter of my own and another kid on the way things are settling down and I'd love to have the opportinty pursue this sport.

I live in Colorado Springs and from research it appears there is a fair amount of land to hunt!

Seems like Every breeder I've contacted as of late are about 6 months to a year out. The wife wants another dog so I'm thinking I need to sell her on the GSP.

I did come accross 2 male GSP's on craigslist that are not from a breeder but am Hesitant. In talking to the guy he claims he isn't a Breeder, but the Mother and father are both registered and hunts them both. He's asking 400for the males and has 2. One is hyper and one is more mello from what I'm told.
I would think that a good part of a hunting dog is the time you invest in them. Happy to get input. Should I hold off for a reputable breeder or take a chance?

Thank you

Jeff
00B0B_1U0Tb11mgpN_600x450.jpg

00i0i_iIfHdML6dsD_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
Personally I would steer clear of a person selling dogs on Craigslist. The guy is nothing more than a "backyard breeder". Maybe is dogs are registered but has he had their hips checked and other things that a good reputable breeder would do? I doubt it. He says they hunt both parents. But are they any good? What's the pedigree like?

My advice would be to buy only from a reputable breeder. You may pay more but it will be worth it in the end. Don't rush into buying a dog.

I agree that I would steer clear of Craigslist dogs. I will admit my bias as I am a breeder, but there is a reason I do things the way I do. When I first got into GSPs, I had no intention of becoming a breeder. My first dog changed that. It was not a good experience. I invested several thousand dollars on a dog that was "backyard bred." Several professional trainers later, I had a dog that was never going to be a dog that I could hunt with. I ended up giving the dog away as a pet and it died at a young age, as did several others from that litter, due to different health issues. As there were no real serious breeders in my area, I spent tons of time researching and learning how to do things the right way. I wanted to do what I could so no one had the same experience that I did.

There is a ton to learn about GSPs and different traits of different bloodlines. You said one parent was hyper and one was mello. Although you can mold temperament somewhat with training, you don't know which parent the pup will take after. If you want a calmer disposition dog, I would look towards lines that focus on that. You could have some lines of field trial dogs that are great in the house and others that are great hunting dogs but you just don't want to live with. It goes the same with Navhda and hunt test dogs. Most you see will have calmer, house friendly dispositions, but that doesn't guarantee it.

As someone who is new, I would recommend looking into a Navhda chapter in your area. They are a great organization that will help you train your dog on your own. Most chapters have training days with equipment and birds available for use. It is a little cliche, but take note that the up front cost of the dog pales in comparison to the cost over the lifetime. With a lot of reputable breeders, you get a network of support to go with your dog, along with genetic defect guarantees. That $400 dog likely hasn't come from health tested or proven parents.

It may take a few months to get a dog from a reputable breeder that you are comfortable with, but you may save yourself from years of heartache by getting one you will more likely succeed with.

Thanks for the Advice guys I'll hold off and wait for a reputable breeder.

The Male Pups One was Mello and the other was more hyper not the parents.

If you can see the parents and the papers when you see the pups, I'd take a look at them. If you go look, before you go acquaint yourself with what AKC registration papers look like if you are not familiar with them. Also, it could be a stickup so be careful.

If you can see the parents and the papers when you see the pups, I'd take a look at them. If you go look, before you go acquaint yourself with what AKC registration papers look like if you are not familiar with them. Also, it could be a stickup so be careful.

I would too. If both sides have more champs than not, it's possible. Remember not all guys field trial.

Some GSPs run far, some, like mine, like to stay close. Ask the guy what range the parents hunt. Does it match what you want?

JeremyS is going to have some fall litters. I know he is in SW Minnesota which is probably 700 miles away from you but it would be worth a look. Shoot him a PM.

I would agree with zeb. I would not buy a dog that has not had clearances. I wen't that route once and ended up with a crippled 6 year old dog. 400.00 is only cheap if it works out, couple vet bills and you are at a grand or more pretty quick. Personally I buy the best dog I can afford. I would rather stay in a cheap motel, have a 20 year old hunting vest, cheap gun and a good dog.

Thanks DakotaZeb.My intention was not to solicit a sale, but to give my input on my experience. I would be glad to talk though if you are interested. Something new I may do with my fall litters is offer discounted shipping if I can get enough pups that need it to make it worth the trip. Generally it is $300-$400 to ship.

I can also recommend other breeders that may fit what you are looking for in a pup. Shoot me a pm or my contact info is on my website www.aspenhillgundogs.com

Back