Dog on the IL

Dakotazeb

I was out hunting a public area yesterday afternoon and returned to my vehicle about 5:00. I had not noticed anything wrong with my Brittany until I loaded her in the back and saw blood on her leg. A closer inspection revealed a rather large laceration on her upper left leg close to her body. It was about a 2" cut and laying wide open. I made a quick call to my vet and told them I was on the way. I was approx. 30 miles out of town. She not only cut the skin but down into the muscle so a few internal stitches, 10 stitches on the outside and $348 later we were on our way home. Bree will be on the IL for about 2 weeks. Those darn cuts in that area are so difficult to get any kind of wrap on so I'll have to figure out how I'm going to protect that area when I do get her back in the field. Going to cut my pheasant season short as the wife and I plan to head to our winter home in AZ right after Thanksgiving. I think this is the 3rd or 4th time she's been cut like this and she's only 5 year old. Bad luck I guess.

Sorry to hear that.
There’s some YouTube videos on making dog boots from bicycle tires. You could do the same thing for protecting your dogs leg stitches.
Just don’t keep it too tight or on too long for circulation.
Sounds like you can have an opportunity to hunt some AZ quail, that season is open until February.

Brits are stoic, aren't they? My first one used to run into trash and get cuts, never making a sound. Like you, I wouldn't know till we were back at the rig.

Any barbed wire on the chunk you were hunting Zeb? My oldest Small Munsterlander was on the injured list for about a month last year when she ran into some barbed wire buried in the grass, then proceeded to jump over it and sliced herself pretty good. Also not making a sound. I watched her do it and saw the blood then saw how wide open she was and had to get to a vet quick. Something like 15 stitches later but thankfully no internal injuries.

I tried putting one of my t-shirts on her but that didn't work too well. I think a youth long sleeved t-shirt might do the job. The cut if right where her leg meets the body so it's difficult to get something to protect it from her chewing at it other than a lamp shade and I hate those things. I have wrapped it with some vet wrap and so far that is staying put.

She's a tough little dog. Never makes a peep when hurt. She went running full speed out of the patio door a couple years ago and hit the frame with her rear leg. Cut her leg and actually bent the metal frame on the patio door. Never gave any indication she got hurt.

There was very little if any barbed wire in the area we were hunting so not sure what she ran into.

I saw this pool noodle rig before- the idea is to keep dog from licking wounds while still being able to eat, drink, and walk around fine.
You can even double them up if needed.
Might be worth a try!
Disclaimer- not my dog in picture.

Attachments

• AAB432CD-2BDF-46C9-A17E-7BE218880D0D.jpeg
    AAB432CD-2BDF-46C9-A17E-7BE218880D0D.jpeg
    369.9 KB · Views: 8
I saw this pool noodle rig before- the idea is to keep dog from licking wounds while still being able to eat, drink, and walk around fine.
You can even double them up if needed.
Might be worth a try!
Disclaimer- not my dog in picture.

Thanks. I've thought of doing something like that. Actually I ordered this recovery sleeve from Chewy.com

Sorry to hear that happen, that very same thing happen to me out in South Dakota last year dog did a retrieve and didn't notice anything until we unloaded to hunt a different field noticed blood in her kennel. Same area as yours only not as deep. We packed up and I called the local vet and he met me at his office. He was out hunting also but was nice enough to come right away. I helped him sew her up (7 stitches) bill was 135 which I thought was very reasonable for a Saturday after hours visit.

Sorry to hear that! My female springer got bit by another dog in early August. She was out of commission for 2 weeks as well. Canceled a trip to western NE because of it. The cone of shame was the only thing that would keep her from licking her wound.

Hate to hear about incidents like that. Sorry, take care. I was hoping to meet ya somewhere out there. (SD).
Be safe and hope speedy recovery for dog.

I can't catch a break. Figured Bree was healed up enough to take her hunting today. I chose an area that the cover wasn't real tough so I could keep any irritation to her wound area to a minimum as the hair is just growing back. She was so happy to get out and run again. We did find a couple roosters but both ran ahead and flushed out of range. This evening I was looking at her front leg and it was red an irritated but not bad. Then I happened to see some blood on her left rear thigh. Sure enough, she must of hit something and cut about a 1 inch gash in her inner thigh. Probably should of had some stitches but I just cleaned it up, put some Neosporin on it and hope it closes okay. I'm putting my guns and hunting stuff away. Going to get ready for a big Thanksgiving dinner with family and them the wife and I are heading to our winter home in Arizona. Hope next year is better.

Back