Dog not hunting

bdub20

So went out on the quail opener here in Missouri. Had a friend come up with Arkansas with his 1 year old female GSP. I had my 3 year old male Golden Retriever. My dog still likes to play like a puppy so he loved the 1 year old. They played at the house. However at one point they kind of got into it, probably just playing a little too rough. Now comes the hunting. So we went out in the morning. Of course my golden does not work like a GSP. Never has, never will. However we noticed through out the day that whenever one was hunting looking for birds, the other would just walk around by us. I noticed this happen a lot as the day went on and they both did it. It was like they refused to hunt when the other was. We did work the dogs hard so they were exhausted by the end. So has anyone else seen this or have a idea why? My dad said it could have been something where the two dogs were fighting over dominance and refused to hunt while the other was hunting. My dog has hunted with my dad's Brittany and has not had this problem before. I'm not too worried since we wont hunt with that GSP much if ever but I'm wondering why it happened and i'm hoping it doesn't happen when we hunt with my dad's Brittany.

My first instinct is to say it's probably not a dominance issue with a male and a female. Maybe just hunting with an unfamiliar dog? It's hard to say without seeing it.

Did you break it up. My take on it is they never finished establishing dominance and now nerves are getting the best of them.

Yes when they growled and kind of snapped at each other we pulled them away from each other. After we separated them they played again later. But with it being a boy and girl and a young girl at that, it would be less likely to be about dominance. However he is an only dog and is always trying to be the alpha and she is the alpha between her and the other dog they own.

david0311

So went out on the quail opener here in Missouri. Had a friend come up with Arkansas with his 1 year old female GSP. I had my 3 year old male Golden Retriever. My dog still likes to play like a puppy so he loved the 1 year old. They played at the house. However at one point they kind of got into it, probably just playing a little too rough. Now comes the hunting. So we went out in the morning. Of course my golden does not work like a GSP. Never has, never will. However we noticed through out the day that whenever one was hunting looking for birds, the other would just walk around by us. I noticed this happen a lot as the day went on and they both did it. It was like they refused to hunt when the other was. We did work the dogs hard so they were exhausted by the end. So has anyone else seen this or have a idea why? My dad said it could have been something where the two dogs were fighting over dominance and refused to hunt while the other was hunting. My dog has hunted with my dad's Brittany and has not had this problem before. I'm not too worried since we wont hunt with that GSP much if ever but I'm wondering why it happened and i'm hoping it doesn't happen when we hunt with my dad's Brittany.

Are both owners trying to work their dogs at.same time? Much different style.of.so
Are dogs confused by commands given other dog?? Or even other dogs method of working??

Seriously doubt dominance has any thing to do with it based on discrpition of situations

Besides should.only be one Alfa...per pack/dog..and that if the owners/trainers..Jmo

I have a Golden and 2 labs, my friend and hunting buddy has a pointer and he is a big runner. You have to break away and hunt your dog how it was trained by you. Mine always seem confused at the pointer running so far out but after a few days seems to get the gig.
Just start walking off to the side and let your dog what it does and let his pointer do what it does. After they hunt together long enough, the dogs seem to figure out what their place is and how you want them to hunt.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't worry about your dog "not hunting", it's just not sure why the other dog is running..... ;)

I'm going to suggest a (possibly) less popular opinion.

Why don't you hunt them separately. Your dog, then his, then yours, etc. Rotating them in and out may help the reduce the confusion for the dogs, keep them fresh (so they'll hunt harder), and reduce the stress of keeping track of two dogs.

I have a pointer and a spaniel. I rotate them out to keep them fresh, and use them in areas they will succeed (grasslands for the EP and the thick stuff for the spaniel). Works for me.

I'm going to suggest a (possibly) less popular opinion.

Why don't you hunt them separately. Your dog, then his, then yours, etc. Rotating them in and out may help the reduce the confusion for the dogs, keep them fresh (so they'll hunt harder), and reduce the stress of keeping track of two dogs.

I have a pointer and a spaniel. I rotate them out to keep them fresh, and use them in areas they will succeed (grasslands for the EP and the thick stuff for the spaniel). Works for me.

I kinda agree with this ... Mostly as the dogs were young and never hunted together before... They do also have different styles, but I hunt with a friend who owns a Chessie and run my 2-3 GSP's with her and they have hunted nice together. They did play grab ass for the first 10 minutes years ago, but now they don't even seem to aknowledge one another... That chessie is a cripple finding machine or any bird that decides to hold tight instead of moving. She does wear out and over heat from time to time...I would just trade them out if they ever hunt with you again ...I think after a few seasons under their collars they won't have a problem..:thumbsup:

I hunt with one guy that used to hack at his dogs' range all the time. He has a big, booming voice and he hollers at his dogs whenever they start to get out there a bit. My dog seemed confused the first few times we hunted together. He wasn't used to all the hollering, and several times acted like he had been scolded. He walked at my side some because he thought he was in trouble. After a few hours my dog just learned to tune out my friend and everything worked out fine.

Maybe it's the two dogs getting used to running with two handlers in the field instead of one?

Back