Dog Meals

SnapShooter

I just wanted to get some more info on what everyone does as far as feeding their dogs. So on a 2 or 3 day hunt, what do you do differently, if anything, a couple nights before the hunt, the night before the hunt, the morning of the hunt, the night between hunts, the second morning before the hunt and after the hunt?
________
GM Atlas engine history

Last edited:
That depends upon the dog. Some will tolerate a breakfast some won't. I put down my dogs food the night before. He eats what he wants, normally there will be some left over. I never pick it up, he will on occasion eat the rest in the morning. He is now 10 years old and I have never had any sick problems with my dog hunting.......Bob

Mine gets free choice always but when we hunt he hardly touches his food. Need to come up with a high protein snack that he likes to keep him goin, any suggestions?

I usually feed him a little bit before the hunt, but do not let him overeat. I might try Tony's Cookie Recipe for energy boost this year as he does not like the power bars.
________
Takehisa Yaegashi

Last edited:
We went with the Nature Valley Peanut Butter Bars last week. The dogs loved them and seemed ready to go each day. We gave two in the early AM and two after feeding at night. Main thing: Don't forget to give as much water as they can drink.

Digesting food causes the body to heat up so I have always fed my dogs 2 to 3 hours after hunting to allow their bodies to cool down I feed dry food but I mix it with warm water to help rehydrate them after a day of hunting.I will give a slice of bread with peanut butter on it with plenty of water mid hunt,I also switch to a high protien dog food during the hunting season and then take them off it after the season so they don't gain too much weight.

I just did a little research on the protein thing and found some guys swear by feedin sardines during the hunt.......gotta go to the store to see if he likes em.

Snap, futher down in this thread is one named "Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches". In there is a recipe for a high protein cookie. Give 3 every night before going hunting at bed time. Then give 3 more immediately after hunting to help the dog recoup. If you are hunting the next day give 3 more to the dog at bedtime. They do help and most dogs love them.......Bob

hmmm... I don't know about sardines...My dogs occasionally catch salmon during the runs in the rivers ...what they leave in the yard is not too nice and lots of gas and bad breath.I keep them on Nutro Hi Protien which is also high in fat during the season then take them off it after the season.

That sounds like a really good idea.:thumbsup:

My dogs on high protien food but just wont eat hardly at all on a 4 day hunt.
Im not ready to start cookin cookies for my dog and I didnt really think out the side effects of sardines.....we do stay in a camper after all.

I would stick with what you are doing,maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter and some water with a little bit of honey in it ,if all you are doing is 4 day hunts...we typically go opening day to eastern Washington and hunt 25 days straight we hunt hard every day all day long.Then when we get home to the westside we waterfowl hunt hard until the end of January in some pretty fowl (no pun intended) weather...though this year we came home early

I simply feed them extra food at their regular time (in the evening) with warm water on it for additional rehydrating.

Dog Diet During the Hunt

I just wanted to get some more info on what everyone does as far as feeding their dogs. So on a 2 or 3 day hunt, what do you do differently, if anything, a couple nights before the hunt, the night before the hunt, the morning of the hunt, the night between hunts, the second morning before the hunt and after the hunt?

My feeding routine when not hunting is two rations a day, one in the morning, one in the evening, a rawhide midday.

While hunting, the dog self feeds (no rationing) the evening before a hunt and the evening after a hunt, nothing in the morning or during the day.

I am a big believer in giving the dog something in the morning and throughout the day, wheather it be a little food, power bar, or a couple of Tony's cookies. I just think if I eat, I'll have more energy; so why wouldn't my dog? One guy that trains dogs told me he gives em sausage patties. But I don't know, that is why I started the thread.
________
Monterey

Last edited:
I don't change anything as to when I feed them whether hunting for not. They get fed early morning and evening. On days I hunt I make sure to get them fed a few hours before the hunt so they have adequate time to digest the food. This seems to work for me as my dogs can hunt all day without needing a snack or food. Fortunately my dogs will eat when I put food down for them. I've had some that won't when we are traveling. Then I would add some chicken broth to the food and that seemed to help. If they are getting a good quality food with the proper protein, fat and calories that's all they should need. On hunting days I do give them a little extra.

Back