Dog growls in the field?

12gaugedust

Just kinda wondering if you have ran into other dogs growling at other hunters that walk up.. My dog has been doing this alot. Other hunters walk past from another area, and he starts growling and barking at them.. I try to reinsure him that its okay there not going to hurts us. But im glad hes protective.

Just kinda wondering if you have ran into other dogs growling at other hunters that walk up.. My dog has been doing this alot. Other hunters walk past from another area, and he starts growling and barking at them.. I try to reinsure him that its okay there not going to hurts us. But im glad hes protective.

My male Springer did this when he was young but after a few years he has quit. Don't take this wrong but Imo the worst thing you can do when a dog growls is to reassure them and tell them "it's ok". Dogs don't have a full vocabulary and in their mind you are saying their behavior is ok which it is not. I would give the dog a firm no, make him stay and put yourself between him and the others. When your dog is between you and them he may perceive a threat to you and he is in a defensive position of you. If you are between the dog and others you are in the defensive position and you can show the dog, by being friendly, that everything is alright.

What breed of dog? Some are just "like that."

Years ago, a friend had a female GWP from the same breeder my dog was from, but different litters. Same socialization on both litters, virtually the same living and training experience, and both dogs were females.

His dog would growl, with sincerity, when other people, and sometimes, dogs, would come near him, and move closer to him.

Mine was congenial and look for a head pat.

I've read that some GWPs exhibit the behavior his did, so it must not have been an exception.

It WAS a surprise. :)

He is a brittany... If people start out hunting with us then its not a problem, but if people come up on us then he starts growling

I'm not saying this to insult you or the dog but it sounds to me like it is a poor bred britt i have had them for years and never had one act like that to strangers in or out of the field they dont even bark at anyone when they come into the yard unless they have a dog box in the back of their rig then its an excited bark

if he was wearing a collar and he did that and was my dog i would be waiting for him to growl and turn up the level to about 4 and see how he growls with a little #4 juice under his neck!!! I would be embarrassed

E-Collar

if he was wearing a collar and he did that and was my dog i would be waiting for him to growl and turn up the level to about 4 and see how he growls with a little #4 juice under his neck!!! I would be embarrassed

My buddy tried that without a command and his dog thought the other guy and his dog were the cause of the electric stimulation. I'd try some training scenarios where people you know come walking up on you unexpectantly and then gradually introduce strangers, electric stimulus can further agitate aggresive dog behavior. Quail hounds idea sounds pretty good as well. Of course unless the dog is alwalys aggressive like that the method only a pointer suggests would probably do the trick. Out here on the left coast if your dog took it to the next level and bit someone you'd probably be looking at 2-5 years. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Last edited:
Yeah its not poor breeding, we went hunting yesterday, and it just seems like the guys that only wear mask over there face is the one he growls at, as soon as i talk to them hes fine. Hes friendly any other time. I told him no when he growled and stood in front, and he quit. Thanks quail hound for the advice. I guess hes protective over his dad.

My dad's brittany barks and growls at people while hunting. He is never real agressive about it but it is actually really funny. He'll do it to me even if we've been hunting together all day, he's done it to my mom as well. It's not agressive at all but it's like he forgets who you are. But it's not somethin we worry about at all because it's not an agressive thing, it's interesting though it's the same breed.

Growling

I had an English pointer who “got along” with people and dogs. When working him, in a new area, I found him growling at an 8’ plus burned tree. He would circle it and growl. Several days later a friend accompanied me during a workout. I had the dog standing on the tailgate when the friend came around wearing a black jacket. The dog began to growl. I asked for him to go around the truck and remove the jacket. When he reappeared my dog looked at him without showing any outward response. I had him put the jacket on and that produced a growl. For some reason he did not care for black clothing or large black objects. We had a black lab which presented no problem for him.

Back