dog food

quail hound

Hey guys just a question about dog food. I have a 1.5 year old springer, he weights 50lbs and the vet says he is under weight but otherwise in perfect health. We exercise about 3 times a week, lots of running, fetch, and water retrieves. I feed him a high performance diet, a 30/20 mix year round. Should I up him to a higher mix? I'm not sure but I don't think my vet doesn't get to see many gun dogs, maybe she just doesn't know what working springer should look like? He is a very muscular well proportioned dog, he stands 20in at the shoulders. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
If you think your dog is fit don't worry about what they say. If he looks like a holestien cow with all the bones showing, feed him some more. Native is what I feed. Keeps weight on well with small ajustments on amounts depending on season. You can try to just feed a cup more if you feel the need. How much and what are you feeding. The Native, I feed about 2 cups to Odie at 50LB and 1 cup a day to the others at mid 30 range. Level 3 30-20.

I switched to native level 3 a couple of months ago for my springers and they are looking alot better. Shinier coat, and they like the tast of it.

He eats nutro natures choice, the vet said this is one of the best foods out there. No feed stores or pet stores around here carry the native brand. He gets about 2.5 cups a day and a little more if he finishes it all fast and is still hanging out around his bowl.

Sounds about right for the amount of quality food. maybe your vet has a different opinion on what is fat and what is not.If you feel slightly offended call him out on it. And besides all dogs do not do well on certain foods either. Just because he has that opinion, it does not mean it will work well for my dog, he should know that. Perhaps he is lacking knoledge about nutrition. It sounds to me like your dog is just Fit.

I can't imagine a male springer that weighs 50 lbs. is under weight. Like everyone else here has said, it just sounds like your dog is very fit.

I thought my Brittany was in pretty fair shape but at a recent NSTRA field trial I saw what really fit dogs look like. Made mine look over weight. These trial dogs that are in excellent condition are solid muscle and look like they have about 0% body fat. My guess is that your vet doesn't see a lot of very fit dogs, probably use to seeing too many household pets that are over weight.

Back