Dog Dangers of Hunting.

kswanson

I am new here and thought I'd post a few things.

First of all, even though I am 40 years old, I am greener than green when it comes to pheasant hunting.

I like to hunt but just have the worst luck ever.

Anyways... what drove me here was a letter written to our local newpaper about a gentleman who was in town due to the death of one of his parents. While here he went hunting with his dog and his dog will killed by a coon trap.

I have no idea what a coon trap is, meaning I've never seen one, I've seen other traps.

That said, now I am fearful of taking my dog out. I usually only hunt public posted land and never walk ditches, etc.

Just looking for thoughts on this, how can one be cautious to make sure our dogs are safe as they can be.

Thanks~

It looks like this and this is what they can do

They are called Canibare traps

trap-2.jpg

trap.jpg

Years ago when I was a teen my Lab just missed getting caught in one. It was not marked in any way. I blew it to kindom come with my 12ga. The owner tracked me down a day or two later and not only attempted to run over me but threatened me with bodily harm. I may of only been a teenager but I made it clear he would be pushing up Daisey's if he didn't hit the road. He was trapping on land we posted for hunting. I never seen him after that day. I condone trapping, if it's done proper and all traps are marked with a stick and flag with owners name, address and phone number on the traps. I will have to say, years ago..many who trapped were not the best of people. Heavy drinkers, questionable back grounds, junk vehicles, Etc. Not saying all were that way but many were. I couldn't tell you about todays trappers.

Last edited:
(Quote Onpoint) Heavy drinkers, questionable back grounds, junk vehicles, Etc. Not saying all were that way but many were. I couldn't tell you about todays trappers. (End Quote)

This is not true at all. Most trappers place there traps to avoid unwanted encounters. And are no different then the rest of the citizens. The goal is to put fur in the truck not dogs. Most are very respectfull of the suroundings and avoid high trafic areas all togeather. Most dogs caught are running loose where they are not suposed to be. And yes ditch culverts are one area to avoid and creek areas near a bridge. These areas are used all the time by trappers. Most have a beater to drive because of the messy stinky job not because they are shady. I would not want stink mink smell in my good truck either.

(Quote Onpoint) Heavy drinkers, questionable back grounds, junk vehicles, Etc. Not saying all were that way but many were. I couldn't tell you about todays trappers. (End Quote)

This is not true at all. Most trappers place there traps to avoid unwanted encounters. And are no different then the rest of the citizens. The goal is to put fur in the truck not dogs. Most are very respectfull of the suroundings and avoid high trafic areas all togeather. Most dogs caught are running loose where they are not suposed to be. And yes ditch culverts are one area to avoid and creek areas near a bridge. These areas are used all the time by trappers. Most have a beater to drive because of the messy stinky job not because they are shady. I would not want stink mink smell in my good truck either.

Well it was true where I lived growing up. You could always find their truck in front of the local bar...Everyday. As I said, not everybody had those credentials.but many did when I grew up. Things may have changed, that was 25 plus years ago

Well it was true where I lived growing up. You could always find their truck in front of the local bar...Everyday. As I said, not everybody had those credentials.but many did when I grew up. Things may have changed, that was 25 plus years ago

OK I understand now it was just the couple you seen at your local bar in your town your refering to, not the many Nation wide. Got it. :confused:

Most states require snares and conibear "killer" traps with jaw width of a certain measurement be set in permanent water only, and tagged with the name and address of the trapper. In Missouri, at least, you have to go to a class like hunter safety training and get certifiedto use them. Coon hounds are the usual victims, and I will caution you, they are wicked to get off without the special tool they use to set them. Usually it doesn't matter because they are crushers, and get the dog as seen above, following a trail or squeezing through the fence opening. That all said, I wish we had more farm boy trappers like I was, pretty darn sure the number of birds would be higher if someone would clean out the skunks, possums, and most of all the coons! Is it just me or not, I pass a dead coon on the road every few hundred yards, all over the midwest. Fur must be out of fashion and cheap.

Removeing them is done easily if you dont panic. First spin the trap 180 degrees. this buys you precious time by getting it off the dogs wind pipe. Second use a bootlace to wrap around the spring to hold pressure while compressing the spring. I can actually load 220's with just my hands but it is very difficult. Or carry a small bolt cutter with you and cut it off. But reality is only 1 or 2 dogs are caught in mn each yr. Not that that is acceptable but when considering the number of dogs in the field its not to many.

Onpoint and TMRichardson I agree with you on your points. I also remember trappers living the way described above. Always with an old beater 2WD pick-up full of chew and empties on the passenger side floor. Don't think many used conibears in the 70s in NoDak though.

Panic or no panic aside it is probably best to buy one and learn how to set it and remove it. Boot lace, rope or setting tool.

I would like to see these traps eliminated from use on public land until after the bird season closes at the end of December / early January.

Brittman what gives the pheasant hunter more right to a public resource than a trapper? Just asking. I grew up trapping, never caught a dog, but mostly bird hunt now. Usually ducks until they close then pheasants. Like to work the dog.

All about balance of use. Interesting that I cannot leave decoys or a tree stand over night on a state WMA, but a trapper can set traps and leave them "unattended" all season long?

What I propose, how is this any different than closing a lake to boats during waterfowl season, don't the fisherman have the right to excellent fall fishing on these very same public waters too?

Not saying ban all trapping, just the conibear traps until January 1. Leg hold sets would still be fine. If small conibears are used inside muskrat houses that would be fine too.

To be honest I would like to see all WPA and WMA have "registered" trappers only. Each property would be allocated to a trapper or two who applies for use of that ground. Lottery, 1st come 1st served - not sure. I think the fur harvest on each property would be more thorough that way.

I guess I agree and that is how it is in mn. I have never seen a lake closed to fisherman during duck season, there may be a few but I have never heard of them. And to trap a wma you have to have a permit. State forests are diffrent , no permit needed.

Those restrictions about trap size and where they can go are not new at all in MN. They have been in place for many many many years.
And it is also not true that several dogs are killed by those each year either. Very rare in fact. It is also very easy to get them off if you are familiar with how. Simple fact. there is not a 220 made I can't get off with just my hands. I even set 330s by hand. When I trapped I used a tongs because of the #'s set in a day. But setting a few was no problem. This does not mean everyone can do it by hand, so other measures can be done.

I caught 2 dogs trapping. Both in 220s both lived, both were running loose far from home and not on land the owner had permission to be on. Nor was the people even a hunter. This is the most common encounter of a dog and a trap.
If you ask the land owner if a trapper has permission when you ask to hunt that solves a big % of the issues. Don't let dogs run wild solves even more. Stay away from key areas trappers use, (Culverts, bridges by water, timber near corn edges with culverts, abandon farm sites.) Most yote or fox traps will be a dirt hole set on a mowed or well worn field road a ways off the road right in the middle, or a stubble field or alfalfa field near gopher holes. These areas are poor for bird hunting. The fact is that more dogs are hit by cars then will ever be caught in a trap.

Save a rooster, trap some varmits.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Those restrictions are not new at all in MN. They have been in place for many many many years.
And it is also not true that several dogs are killed by those each year either. Very rare in fact. It is also very easy to get them off if you are familiar with how. Simple fact. there is not a 220 made I can't get off with just my hands. I even set 330s by hand. When I trapped I used a tongs because of the #'s set in a day. But setting a few was no problem. This does not mean everyone can do it by hand, so other measures can be done.

I caught 2 dogs trapping. Both in 220s both lived, both were running loose far from home and not on land the owner had permission to be on. Nor was the people even a hunter. This is the most common encounter of a dog and a trap.
If you ask the land owner if a trapper has permission when you ask to hunt that solves a big % of the issues. Don't let dogs run wild solves even more. Stay away from key areas trappers use, (Culverts, bridges by water, timber near corn edges with culverts, abandon farm sites.) Most yote or fox traps will be a dirt hole set on a mowed or well worn field road a ways off the road right in the middle, or a stubble field or alfalfa field near gopher holes. These areas are poor for bird hunting. The fact is that more dogs are hit by cars then will ever be caught in a trap.

Save a rooster, trap some varmits.:thumbsup:

I agree.

More bird dogs are killed by vehicles than any other cause.

Too many rural bird dog owners let their dogs roam.

Too many city hunters do not realize that many rural pick ups don't slow down and grain trucks can't slow down.

Get your dog secured as soon as you get back to your vehicle. Be extra careful when hunting near roads.

You guy's need to not stereo type like this , come on what a bunch of bull.:D:D I could say that about ND resident pheasant hunters too but I won't. ( I am in fact kidding)
You may have seen a guy or two like that, but I still do, and they ain't trappers. I know 4 trappers here setting by my place, Here is there MO. Two kids setting for rats after school, mom drives them around to publics. Laid off DNR employee for the Glenwood fisheries, traps every year when laid off seasonal job. Barber in Alex, owns Kyle's barber shop, traps on the side. Contractor Mark, traps when work is slow many years. None drink..... None drive that bad of a vehicle. None chew. All are law abiding tax payers. I have yet to see the stereotype you guys describe. Two of these guys trap the public right across the road from my house, many, many,many, many, many many many dogs have been through it, including mine 3 times. "None" have been caught. I ran my dogs closer to the sets then any one cause I know where they are, I see them check them. There is no dog in danger at all with the way these guys are trapping..... I am happy they are there, I have a pheasant pen. And I don't have much
trouble.
When I do, I trap em. Never caught my dogs either.:D:cheers:
Ask these:
How many of you have had a dog in a conni bear trap??????
Where were you if you did???? (Honestly now)
When is the best time to trap the worst varmints that kill nesting birds????
(not winter after bird season I bet)
Have you ever tried to learn how to remove or set any trap?????
How many drunk people driving beaters are at the local pub each night that don't trap??????
How many land owners are happy to allow a trapper?????
What would bird #'s do if all trappers quit??????
What would happen to varmint #'s if all trappers quit??????

Restricting trappers more then they are already would be pointless. It is difficult on them already and would be needless. Yes I agree 100% that a cood dog will be the most likely to run into a trap. I ran Hounds in the hay days of fur for 17 years or so, and never had a dog caught in a trap. But they would be the most likely. It is just that not many do it any more. So a free running farm mutt would most likely move to the top now.
:cheers:

Last edited:
The rules sugested above are rediculas. A registered trapper?? They are all registered when they buy a lic. I could see setting aside safety classes for a first time trapper to teach ethics along with gun safety and trap education all at the same time. Saying one can go here and you go there is un American..

Stands and decoys are to be removed for a reason. People would lay claim to the spot, you can't trust the safety of some goof balls stands, people leave the junk stands, Boards would be erected in trees etc. people leave the junk decoys and so on. It is rules based on common sense. People will set stuff up and not care about it after a while and the junk would pile up. Traps have to be checked, not left unattended all year as said. They take up a verry small area about the size of your foot, and anyone else can set near another. Most will not however and find an area to them selves. Trappers pic up there traps, it's $ to them.

Last edited:
Back