Dog certifications

winchester21

Hey fellas,
So I'm not new to the dog training thing but I am new to field trials, NAVHDA certification, AKC registration, and all that other competition/certification stuff. My one year old GWP is doing great and I'm thinking that we'd both have a lot of fun involving ourselves in some test events. She's got good pedigrees (as far as I can tell, got her out of Schutte's Diamond Wirehairs in NE.) and I'm wondering what I need to do in order to get started as far as registration goes. Anything in Colorado specifically would be appreciated.
Thanks!!!

Join your local NAVHDA Chapter, there you will meet local guys that will be able to help you. Attend as many trials ,hunt test etc.and ask plenty of questions. Good luck and have fun.

We have not done the NAVDA events but we have done the AKC hunt test. Just got our Senior title. check Fieldtrialnews.com they have a schedule of upcoming AKC events. The viszla club and weim club have whats called a double event outside of Denver in the fall and you can run 4 test in one weekend so if you pass all you can earn a title.

You might also waht to look into NSTRA (National Shoot To Retrieve Field Trail Assoncaition) http://www.nstra.org/

NSTRA events are as close to actual hunting as you will find. Look up the Rocky Mountain Region on the NSTRA site. They have several trials not far from you in Elizabeth, Wiggins and Rush. You could attend a trial to watch and visit with people before deciding to jump in. I enjoy them as it gives me something to do with my dog in the off season.

Thanks guys. This forum is such a great resource.

So, are there any distinguishing differences between NAVHDA, NSTRA and AKC hunt tests? I'm interested because I'm definitely more a bird in the bag, run and gun, kind of guy as compared to a distinct criteria sort (which I gather is more aligned with NAVHDA) so maybe NSTRA may be a better fit for me but either way, I just want to get out and have some fun in the off season. Are there any cons to the either of the three? I gather that I need to register her with AKC regardless of what I do. Correct?

Last edited:
Yes registering your dog will be your first step. And as far as which one you to go with.If you have the time try them all, you never know..:thumbsup:

To get your feet wet I would try the akc hunt test. There is no competition between a whole mess of dogs. Easy rules to follow and a good start for a newbie. Good luck! !

Back