Dog boots

My britts need them.

Took in an eight year old GSP. His feet are much tougher than my britts.

Are GSP owners using boots?

Years ago I hunted with an uncle who owned a bunch of English pointers and they seem to have very soft feet and get cold really easy. They always had boots or vests on. Between me and my hunting buddy we have 5 GSPs and never seem to have to boot them.

Thanks for all the GSP owners' answers. Think I will buy some booties for the britts. If the GSP has problems, I will use duct tape until I get more boots.

If I was to get booties at dogbooties.com, what would you recommend for Kansas sand burrs. Velcro, hooks or loops? 300, 500 or 1000 denier.

Thanks

Thanks for all the GSP owners' answers. Think I will buy some booties for the britts. If the GSP has problems, I will use duct tape until I get more boots.

If I was to get booties at dogbooties.com, what would you recommend for Kansas sand burrs. Velcro, hooks or loops? 300, 500 or 1000 denier.

Thanks

velcro 500's at least, the 300's wont turn them....but they will prevent chafing and pad wear.

Never have had to use them but I always have a bunch in the dog box. JP has a pretty badly cracked toe nail so I threw one on him today in the mountains.

Have you ever put super glue on a cracked toenail? I used it and I think it helped.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, a review of dog boots gave the top rating to MuttLuks which are made in Canada. I bought a set and will try them next month in the mountain west. I previously used Lewis. Lewis are OK but it takes alot to put them on and it hurts the dog to take them off after a day of hunting. But maybe I was inept at using them.

I have GSP's and if I'm in Western OK, I definitely run Lewis boots on them. Don't know if the burrs are as bad as they are there, but if it's even close, you'll probably be sorry if you aren't running boots. Sand burrs are not something you want to stop and pick out.

I've never had any trouble with the Lewis boots. They're kind of a pain to put on, but definitely work. I have talked to folks who have traveled west with canvas boots and purchased Lewis boots on the hunting trip because the canvas didn't work. Not worth the chance if you're traveling a long distance.

A pair of tape scissors is a must if you go with Lewis. Don't cut corners when putting them on the dog. They won't work correctly and you could possibly lose a boot or two.

Last edited:
Lewis dog boots. I use these on my brit and it's by far the best boot I've used. you have to duct tape them on your dog but it's well worth it. Haven't lost one. They stay on and I haven't had a puncture yet.

They are on gundogsupply.com or you can go to the factory (basically a garage at someone's house) in Enid OK and buy some.

Scott

I used a thin layer of vet wrap as an under layer for the Lewis boots and have used duct tape or regular (wide) medical/sports tape for the finish. I prefer the medical/sports adhesive tape to the duct tape. I never lost a boot. Correct sizing is important. My 72lb male and 60lb female required different sizes. They are both gone but with a pup on the way I will be getting some as soon as she is grown.

Have you ever put super glue on a cracked toenail? I used it and I think it helped.

Yes sir, I trimmed and glued the nail as best I could but still used the boot for extra protection.:thumbsup:

Lewis dog boots. I use these on my brit and it's by far the best boot I've used. you have to duct tape them on your dog but it's well worth it. Haven't lost one. They stay on and I haven't had a puncture yet.

They are on gundogsupply.com or you can go to the factory (basically a garage at someone's house) in Enid OK and buy some.

Scott

When you mention puncture, do you mean cactus? Might try southwest for scaled quail.

Scott

what size do you use on your britt?

Back