Dog boots

There are a few areas with sand burrs, but generally it is not a problem.
I don't generally use boots.

most fields are sprayed for sand burrs, further west the worse them become, i always boot my pups, dogbooties.com, soft, pliable and save their feet.

You'll find them most frequently in wheat stubble, shelterbelts, around old farmsteads, and some roadside ditches. Obviously, the sandier the soil, the more likely you are to find them. When they're thick, they can make a field un-huntable for unbooted dogs. Very rare in the CRP fields I've hunted.

I don't boot my dogs, but that's mostly because I don't see them very often.

Western Kansas is full of sand burrs. Back in the day when I lived in se Kansas I had a few dogs that were tender foots when they got into sand burrs at west. After I moved to western Kansas I never had a problem with sand burs. Dogs were just used to them. Every dog is different so you be the judge. Personally I would never waste my money on dog boots. Hunt the dogs enough and they get used to them.

are they like the same sandburs we have in MN ive sern the in areas wear it was mowed or cut near ditches & overgrown field crop edges not many just in grasse but on edge of windbreaks wear they couldnt farm write up to the wind break the weeds grow & burs follow...

i hunted MT sharpie & sage grouse last year cactus all over plus burs my dog lasted 6-7 days all trip evey other dog was a gimp by day 4-5... i mite get bootys just 2 hunt my dog longer if u run ur dog on gravel plus asphalt & concrete it helps...

no matter how tuff a dogs feet a bur between there toes stop em in there tracks i plan to give KS a go this dec. seen lots of pheasant & herd quail & chickens again this spring turkey hunting so im giving it a try i already have the hunting license mite as well

Last edited:
If you lose a bootie, wrap the foot in duct tape. Usually it easily falls off at the end of the day. If not, pour a little water in it.

I use them only in the mountain west chukar hunting. All rocky ground out there.

My labs would have those doggie booties tore off before I could get them all on. I had a buddy with a Brittany that would just run on 3 legs when she got a burr in her pad or toes. Nothing would slow her down.

I like the Lewis dog boots. I hunt my dogs 60-70 days a season in quite a few western states and parts of western Kansas and Nebraska are the only place I'll put the boots on them. I used to let my dogs "Tough" it out and pick them out of there paws on there own. It taught the dogs to recognize wear to run but some of the fields had too many birds to pass up but also too many sand burrs to effectively hunt without them. If you are traveling far to hunt don't let not having the boots effect the out come of your trip. It's no fun when the dogs are too tender foot to run down a running rooster.. Just my two cents.

If you buy the Lewis dog boots and follow their instructions the boots will not come off. I still haven't lost a single boot in the three seasons I've used them on two different dogs.

when i was booting up my dogs outside a motel in ND a couple years ago, i had 3 guys who couldn't pay me enuf for a set of boots, sold them for cost, saved their hunts.

Never have had to use them but I always have a bunch in the dog box. JP has a pretty badly cracked toe nail so I threw one on him today in the mountains. He hunted hard all morning and never lost his boot, I was very surprised! He wanted to mess with it at first but one firm "no" was all it took to stop that.

How many of you use dog boots? Are the sand burrs so bad in Kansas that dogs need boots? Thanks for any insight you have.

You never know from year to year. I hunted Kansas for 15 years with Ike (large GSP) and always had Lewis dog boots on hand. I probably used them 25-30 % or less but when you need them - you need them. I would hunt the same areas year after year all over Kansas, except the SE and one year you would not need them then the next you absolutely would. Ike's gone now but a distant cousin of his is in the future and I will have boots in the truck, if they are needed and they will be Lewis.

If you buy the Lewis dog boots and follow their instructions the boots will not come off. I still haven't lost a single boot in the three seasons I've used them on two different dogs.

I've got 42 lb britts. I'm assuming they would take the "med" size. what's the difference in vented and non vented?

I've got 42 lb britts. I'm assuming they would take the "med" size. what's the difference in vented and non vented?

The vented boots have small holes on the bottom of the boot. I like the unvented better because it won't let sand in which irritates the dogs. If the dogs are in and out of water a lot the vented would be better.

Back