Does South Dakota law enforcement use pheasant decoys?

Really? Yea, firefighters should probably do that... I’d agree with what Munster said.

Last edited:
I get S. Davis point. I do not believe random stops or even checkpoints should be legal in most cases ... wild game, drugs, whatever. You should have some level of probable cause to be able to search a vehicle or person.

Many squad cars can now quickly scan license plates and identify those with outstanding warrants, etc... It is great those people are pulled off the streets, but at what cost ?

That said, if there are complaints of road hunters in an area with residents nearby or a known night poacher working an area ... then I believe there is indeed probable cause to set up a sting and a decoy. The chances of catching random road-shooting slobs or poachers are rather remote without the decoy.

Rape, child molesting, murder are higher felony crimes that could follow a different standard.

Slob cops. Entrapment is un-American and the police who do it should be kicked in the ass and banned from police work. Disgusting practice.
I am going to automatically assume that you are a habitual violator or have been caught in the past doing illegal activities. Usually people with that attitude have been caught and feel they shouldn’t have had to pay the piper for their violations but instead got off with a slap on the hand.

And what the OP said is not entrapment. They are not setting you up so that you have no choice in violating the law. It’s not different than a speed limit sign or stop sign.

Now if that sign was obstructed on purpose so that you could not see it that’s a different story.

My opinion, based on my experience, see the use of a game decoy in the attempt to catch a subject engaging in unlawful conduct is neither enticement nor entrapment.
If one is predisposed to violate fish and game laws, or any laws.....the mere presence of that decoy isn't creating the situation for them that they haven't already done or considered doing.....internet crimes against children chatrooms, controlled buy/bust for narcotics, murder for hire, anti-prostitution operations, etc....the lists go on, come to mind as legitimate law enforcement activities similar to placing a game decoy out.
While some may say/feel that poaching, over harvest, etc are not on the same "level" as these crimes....my argument would be that to an officer entrusted with enforcing fish and game laws they are. Especially considering that not catching one in the act of a poaching violation extremely limits the ability to establish probable cause for an arrest or a search warrant application. Being in the right place at the right time to catch a poacher is called luck. Creating the time and place to put the poacher on your playing field is called routine work.
Additionally, to us outdoors persons, we see the attacks on what we enjoy as a pastime by private interest groups and political agendas monthly, and behavior of those who CHOOSE to engage in unlawful activity hurt us all.

My opinion, based on my experience, see the use of a game decoy in the attempt to catch a subject engaging in unlawful conduct is neither enticement nor entrapment.
If one is predisposed to violate fish and game laws, or any laws.....the mere presence of that decoy isn't creating the situation for them that they haven't already done or considered doing.....internet crimes against children chatrooms, controlled buy/bust for narcotics, murder for hire, anti-prostitution operations, etc....the lists go on, come to mind as legitimate law enforcement activities similar to placing a game decoy out.
While some may say/feel that poaching, over harvest, etc are not on the same "level" as these crimes....my argument would be that to an officer entrusted with enforcing fish and game laws they are. Especially considering that not catching one in the act of a poaching violation extremely limits the ability to establish probable cause for an arrest or a search warrant application. Being in the right place at the right time to catch a poacher is called luck. Creating the time and place to put the poacher on your playing field is called routine work.
Additionally, to us outdoors persons, we see the attacks on what we enjoy as a pastime by private interest groups and political agendas monthly, and behavior of those who CHOOSE to engage in unlawful activity hurt us all.
Well said wing....

Slob cops. Entrapment is un-American and the police who do it should be kicked in the ass and banned from police work. Disgusting practice.
So by your reasoning cops shouldn’t use fake accounts on websites posing as children to catch child predators? i certainly hope you don’t have any children.

Does South Dakota law enforcement use pheasant decoys to catch violators? My sons and I came across two roosters sitting on private property near the fence line the other day in Beadle County. We stopped and watched them for awhile and when they didn't move after several minutes we got curious enough to get out of the car and get closer.
We finally realized they were taxidermy birds. It could have been a prank by a property owner but I know some DNR departments use decoys to catch cheaters. Anyone have knowledge about this?
Nope

No they should not.
Another discussion of topic on the South Dakota forum is talking about hunter harassment issues.....one way for a CO/Warden to address this behavior would be to get with another CO/Warden, dress in hunting attire, drive a plain vehicle, and appear to be hunting inorder to directly observe, as the recipients of this harassment, the behavior(s) that they have received complaints on.
I assume this is not an acceptable technique either?
And, no I am not a CO/Warden.

Another discussion of topic on the South Dakota forum is talking about hunter harassment issues.....one way for a CO/Warden to address this behavior would be to get with another CO/Warden, dress in hunting attire, drive a plain vehicle, and appear to be hunting inorder to directly observe, as the recipients of this harassment, the behavior(s) that they have received complaints on.
I assume this is not an acceptable technique either?
And, no I am not a CO/Warden.
They do it when the situation warrants especially when there is a legit safety concern with the landowner. These operations require higher up approvals with approved Operation plans.

I think the point here is that you should not be considering shooting at a fake rooster planted on the edge of the ditch or the road. Just move along with your hunt Betty. Roosters don't stand still like a statue for minutes on end.

catch the slobs, lawful citizens would not shoot.
they probably set this up due to numerous calls in that area of someone trespassing and or shooting towards buildings. now is a good chance they'll catch them doing their police work

I know a landowner that would save the carcass of a pheasant, shove some low velocity tannerite in it's body cavity, glue it back together, shove a rod into it and set it well into his property in ND. He would set it out on the weekends, and he said it was never much of a wait until a road hunter got a big surprise.

I saw one ready to go, looked like crap up close.

Obviously not legal...on the landowner and the hunter.

I know a landowner that would save the carcass of a pheasant, shove some low velocity tannerite in it's body cavity, glue it back together, shove a rod into it and set it well into his property in ND. He would set it out on the weekends, and he said it was never much of a wait until a road hunter got a big surprise.

I saw one ready to go, looked like crap up close.

Obviously not legal...on the landowner and the hunter.
Mutt, you don't know how many seeds you just planted in guy's minds.😬

Mutt, you don't know how many seeds you just planted in guy's minds.😬
This was before the county had a fulltime CO. I'm not sure if he still does it now. Seems like an uncomfortable conversation with the law lol. Dude is certainly a character.

Its done all the time in law enforcement. Often referred to as a "sting." You generally have to catch someone in the act of committing a crime to punish them, or have them admit to it.

I'm perfectly fine with a a set up because I know it won't affect me. I'm not one to pull over and blast a rooster from my truck along the side of the road. But some people apparently are doing it, otherwise they wouldn't put them there to begin with.
I know a guy who is a respected basketball coach in Montana, who is a disgusting road hunting poacher.I think he's from livingston mt.

Back