Do you do anything to get in shape before season?

5 stand

Do you jog, walk, lose weight?
Personally I usually follow the dog and wish I had gotten in better shape.

During the spring, summer & early fall my GSP and I are walking the back roads of Oklahoma 2 - 3 miles six days a week. I also run my dog two miles each day. In the fall & winter I am either working GunnR in the fields (before season) into Quail. When Quail seasons opens mid-Nov we are in the field hunting a minimum of 5 days per/week until mid-Feb. Then we repeat the cycle.
Seems to work for us. I am soon to be 73 and in good physical shape hope to keep it that way. Also, make our annual trip to SD (my home state) for 10 days Pheasant hunting. We do have a trailer at Bob's resort near Gettysburg, and some years go in Sept to prairie grouse hunt, also. My wife & I spend the month of May at Bob's fishing the Oahe.

I work my dog several days a week either walking with her in the field or roading her with my bicycle. I also walk with my wife and try to get in 50 miles/week on my bike by myself. I also try and get to the fitness center 2-3 times a week for some weight training but COVID has stopped that for now. I'm 74 and know the importance of staying in physical shape. I've lost 20+ lbs. since the first of the year so I hope that helps in the field this fall. But with age every fall seems to get a little more difficult. No more hiking CRP all day long. Usually 3-4 hours is enough now.

If you guys and gals plan to get in shape before this fall's hunting season you need to get at it ASAP. Time is getting short.

Kudos to the 70 + guys. I hope I'm chasing birds at 73 and 74, and preparing for the season like you guys. ;)

For the dogs, lots of hikes & road work on gravel roads (toughens up the pads). We will get some waterfowl and sharptail hunting in before roosters opens in October, as well. I constantly adjust their intake of food to prevent them getting overweight in the off season.

I'm 62, and keeping in shape was a helluva lot easier 40 years ago. I walk as much as possible, as hunting roosters & sharps in ND requires a person be able to walk at least 2 miles a day in cover, and sometimes much more. Nothing more frustrating than hunting with someone who is done in for the day after hunting the first half a mile in cover.

I also shoot clay birds, increasing the frequency as the seasons approach. I don't shoot just trap loads, but also the loads I use hunting, as nailing a double with trap loads is way different than with a stiff hunting load like the Prairie Storms I favor. Yesterday after work, I shot a round of 25 clays with Federal Prairie Storm through my Citori Featherweight. Yes, 25 rounds of Prairie Storm in about 15 minutes using a lightweight shotgun like my Browning was overkill, but the Citori is new to my rooster arsenal for this fall and I'm still getting used to it. After I picked up hulls and cleaned the Browning, I took 3 Advil for the sore shoulder and recoil headache...

Last edited:
Regular dog walks about 20-30 minutes a day. I let the dog pull on the leash (w/harness) which keeps her in top condition and very muscular. I also do some upper body weight lifting so the gun feels a bit lighter and handles easier. Then I rely on dumb luck to actually hit a bird.

Last edited:
Back