Do pigeons need to be cleaned before using

Little Brit

If pigeons can be toxic to humans do you need to do anything with them before using them for training with your dog.

Cleaned from what? If you have them pen raised for a while they have quality food in them, and good water. They have worms usually, are not good keeping house either. But I have never heard they were toxic. Maybe if they were poisoned by the city or the railroad, but I would suspect you'd see that before you used them, and it will be quick!

what I meant was their dropping can be harmful to humans and when they are in their roost covered in dropping would that be harmful to your dog when used for training. These will be caught birds not pen raised.

what I meant was their dropping can be harmful to humans and when they are in their roost covered in dropping would that be harmful to your dog when used for training. These will be caught birds not pen raised.

Where you used pigeons, quail, pheasants, or flamingo's, once you are using live birds you need to care for them, more work than the dog kennels. You'll learn the housekeeping, use hardware cloth openings to poop through, coned waterers, otherwise they crap in the water, roost with mesh floor, away from the groceries. Some of my quail are better citizens than the bird dogs, they recall better for sure!

chasing pigeons in places where theres a lot of dried pigeon feces might be a problem when theres alot of flapping and dust raised ,you need to watch breathing it
a few in an well ventilated ,clean coop, is probably not a problem
no problem for the dogs ,there metabolism can destroy almost any thing
i mentioned that earlier and i just wanted to make us aware that alot of their dried "dust" floating around,like in an attic of an old barn ,if your going the trapping route,probably oughta wear a nuisance mask,wash your hands
i just wanted the pigeon handler to use caution
i get around alot of pigeon debris fixing air conditioners and we've got a safety protocol on pigeon debris
i didnt want to suggest it to somebody without the safety contact :)
same as messing with all other pen raised birds

in the past , i bought pigeons from folks that trapped them out of buildings
theres probably dog training clubs near you that have a pigeon source
theres so many that have gone feral,tame that went wild, i thought it might be an inexpensive source,good luck

Pigeons aren't toxic. You hear about guys (usually racers) getting "pigeon lung" because they spend so much time in enclosed pigeon lofts breathing in dust from their bodies and their feces.
So unless you are going to spend years inside a square box with the pigeons, you and your dog should be alright.

Now mixing ferals with racing homers is something that I would never do..... But that's because I give a shit about my racers.

different opinions from different websites about the hazard
if there going to be trained to home they have to be acquired young(pigeons) anyway
im going to start a coop this spring
just me being overly cautious, maybe it's a phobia

some racing pigeons cost as much as some racing horses
seems like a lot of people start keeping pigeons for dog training and hawking, next thing you know they're hooked on pigeon racing/homing

Last edited:
different opinions from different websites about the hazard
if there going to be trained to home they have to be acquired young(pigeons) anyway
im going to start a coop this spring
just me being overly cautious, maybe it's a phobia

some racing pigeons cost as much as some racing horses
seems like a lot of people start keeping pigeons for dog training and hawking, next thing you know they're hooked on pigeon racing/homing

Best thing I can tell you about that is get good quality birds. Your results and returns will be much higher. A racing pigeon and a feral caught pigeon are almost two different species of animal.

I just want to buy some for dog training. I built a pen big enough to hold 5 or 6 for a day or two until I use them to train then they are gone. I dont plan on racinhg them or breeding them. Ill leave that to the pro's

Back