dieing from the heat

onpoint

We have lost about 50 Chukar's from this heat.

We have fans on and fresh cool water, yet we loose several a day.

The quail are doing fine

Anybody loosing birds in this heat?

I have not lost any birds from the heat but I probably don't have as many as you do. I have 31 quail in a johnny house and around 150 pheasants that are around 12 weeks old. The past few days have been our hottest in Pa. Where are you located?

North Central Mn. It's been 85 to 95 with plus 100 heat index. Just the Chukars are having a problem. The quail have been fine

We have lost about 50 Chukar's from this heat.

We have fans on and fresh cool water, yet we loose several a day.

The quail are doing fine

Anybody loosing birds in this heat?

I have Quail, Chuckers & pheasant. I will loose a bird every once in a while. We are getting close to 50+ days above 100 here.

Do you have a dusting pan where birds can dust themselves?
Also if they are kept in a cage, you can hook up a mister hose to cool things down a bit.

I believe it is the very high humidity combined with the heat. We set a heat index record in Minnesota a few days ago at 134 in Morrehead Mn. It's been unbearable. Wild Chukars tend to be in very dry climates.

I was wondering how the farmers were making out with some of their animals. Its gotta be hard when there is not much you can do about the weather.

Instant recipe for cattle deaths, high heat, high humidity, calm conditions, lack of shade. Even being sprayed with water, they won't last long.

Reading multiple reports of sale barns turning people away. Ranchers are having to sell heifers and 3 to 6 year old cows, which means much higher prices in the future. Sale barns that normally sell 1600 to 2000 head per week are selling 2500 to 3000 head per week.

Reading multiple reports of sale barns turning people away. Ranchers are having to sell heifers and 3 to 6 year old cows, which means much higher prices in the future. Sale barns that normally sell 1600 to 2000 head per week are selling 2500 to 3000 head per week.

I know some feedlots here in Nebraska were losing 30 or more fat cattle a day to the heat. Seems to me my pheasant chicks love the heat way more than the cold.

Back