Did Purina Pro Plan change something?

waggs

Been feeding Pro Plan performance for a while now but the last few bags the dogs have had some stool issues. Nothing bad, but a little too soft. Think I'm going to have to change brands.

Just wondering if they have changed something?

Been feeding Pro Plan performance for a while now but the last few bags the dogs have had some stool issues. Nothing bad, but a little too soft. Think I'm going to have to change brands.

Just wondering if they have changed something?

wouldn't surprise me, all major companies are trying to cut costs, one way or the other.

It wouldn't be the first time for Purina. They got caught feeding bovine meat and bone meal in cattle feed, a couple of years ago, in West Texas the presumed source prions that cause chronic wasting disease. In the 1970's they experimented with using styrofoam as a filler in dog chow, discontinued after public complained that it looked like it snowed in the backyard after a couple of weeks of feeding, but did no harm to the dog. Right in there with the tainted wheat gluten/melamine from China, poisoning a couple of years ago. As said they are all in it to make a huge profit by delivering the cheapest product they can sell for the most $. look at the ingredient list, first item in the premiums, is some kind of meat, chicken usually, followed closely by a laundry list of grains, listed frequently as corn, corn gluten meal, feeding oats, wheat gluten meal, these foods are advertised as " first ingredient real meat protien", but primarily cereal grains or cereal by products. If as they imply the "primary ingredient were a meat base, the protien would be more like 50-60% rather than 21-30%. Same for the lamb and rice scam, the duck and potato scam, it's all marketing, more money goes into the branding than goes in the bag! If you feed a commercial dry ration, virtually any American Feed Council approved food is as good as another, although I would avoid soy meal protien except as a snack, like milkbone, because of the potential allergies and digestive upset. If you don't believe me here are some numbers, I used to sell this stuff, a premium bag of dog food, which I will not name,but a 30-20, blend, sold retail in a 40# bag,( now 37.5#) for $44.00, as the retailer we bought that bag for $28.00, and if you were a member of the manufacturers club, you got about $6.00 as a reward. So $22.00 was discounted, and they still made about $8.00 per bag. What went in the bag? About $14.00 dollars. Some manufacturers don't play that game and sell for about $25.00 a bag, but the ingredients are essentially the same, with no marketing budget, and sometimes come off the same line at the same plant!

I think you're being a little overdramatic here. Like I said before, I worked for Purina for 2 years in their Engineering Department and I can tell you, they care about your pet. Something may have slightly changed in the ingredient list slightly, but if it did it is because they researched it and in a majority of dogs it had a positive result.

I'm telling you, they test the food on dogs before they release it to the public, and they engineer the mixes so that a dog fed the food has an optimal ratio of muscle to bone to fat in their body. There really is a science to it, and I can't speak for any other brands, but I know Purina works hard to have a good product.

I don't know about the past and styrofoam etc, but now since Nestle has owned Purina it is a quality product. I can tell you I will never feed anything but Purina.

FWIW

Chuck

dog food

Ive seen the same things in a number of brands. I think in this economy they well put in more of one thing than the other just to reduce costs and as you know dog have sensitive stomachs and show the changes. Does any one know if there tested regularly ? I know for a fact that mills put the same dog food in different "brand" bags and some sell for 3 times for same food!

The food is made in batches too, so its possible that you got into a batch that had an issue. Call Purina, I am sure they will give you a coupon for a couple free bags - if you're interested.

Chuck

I think you're being a little overdramatic here. Like I said before, I worked for Purina for 2 years in their Engineering Department and I can tell you, they care about your pet. Something may have slightly changed in the ingredient list slightly, but if it did it is because they researched it and in a majority of dogs it had a positive result.

I'm telling you, they test the food on dogs before they release it to the public, and they engineer the mixes so that a dog fed the food has an optimal ratio of muscle to bone to fat in their body. There really is a science to it, and I can't speak for any other brands, but I know Purina works hard to have a good product.

I don't know about the past and styrofoam etc, but now since Nestle has owned Purina it is a quality product. I can tell you I will never feed anything but Purina.

FWIW

Chuck

I have fed my two Brittanies Purina One and they both thrived on it, developing big muscles and having tremendous field endurance and overall excellent health. Thanks for reassuring us that Purina is an ethical dog food producer.

Ive been feeding it for a year and a half to my 2 1/2 yr old GSP. She is doing excellent with it. She likes the taste, she's building muscle, she stays trim, has a bundle of energy, seems to always be happy, and her coat is sleek and shiney. And a large bag lasts her 7 weeks at 3 cups per day. Stool is firm and consistant, twice a day. I couldnt be more pleased with the results.

Back