Destination Kansas

Received approval from supervisor at work and at the house to take a trip to Kansas for a 5 day hunt, traveling Dec 27 and start hunting for 5 days. Guess the Princess knew I'd be pouting if I was dragged to in-laws for that many days without dogs/guns...So she cut me loose...

If my selection was a pheasant/quail combo, may be favoring pheasant can anyone give me a direction to start with? Been studying Kansas Atlas and comparing to brood survey reports....Don't need honey holes, just wondering if you could PM?

Have 2 seasoned setters....And a wildlife biologist from east of Miss River....

The Kdwpt Report is pretty acurate , if you know what good quail and pheasant habitat look like you should be in good shape . Stay west of the flinthills for a combo hunt .

The farther you get away from Cities and Major Highway's the better chance you have of finding birds. I would get north or south of I70 - 45 minutes to an hour. Everyone drives down 70 and stops, very few people get to far away from the easy fields and those within 30 minutes of cities and highways get pounded. As an example to stay in Jefferson or Lewis KS and base out of there. You will meet more locals and then have a much better chance hunting private land after a day or two but most people that come to KS make the mistake of staying in a big city, go to a town of 200 not 3000. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
The farther you get away from Cities and Major Highway's the better chance you have of finding birds. I would get north or south of I70 - 45 minutes to an hour. Everyone drives down 70 and stops, very few people get to far away from the easy fields and those within 30 minutes of cities and highways get pounded. As an example to stay in Jefferson or Lewis KS and base out of there. You will meet more locals and then have a much better chance hunting private land after a day or two but most people that come to KS make the mistake of staying in a big city, go to a town of 200 not 3000. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed! Find milo and you will find birds.

Back