Des Moines area pheasants?

mcharlto88

As of this summer I'm basically brand new to all types of hunting. I've been pheasant hunting years ago with my uncle but just recently completed my hunters safety.(Finally, now that I'm 27:) Anyways, I'm really looking forward to pheasant season opening, but I don't have any idea where there is good public land to hunt. I live in Ankeny, which for those that don't know is right next to Des Moines. I am willing to travel a bit, but don't want to have to drive two hours to get somewhere. Just wondering if anybody can help point me to some public land that is decent hunting? Or if there are any groups of hunters that wouldn't mind another guy tagging along. Thanks in advance for any help!

Get a map that shows public hunting areas. I don't hunt that part of the state but north of DM is probably your best bet. Hit areas that have crops adjacent to good cover. Try early in morning or late afternoon.

Get a map that shows public hunting areas. I don't hunt that part of the state but north of DM is probably your best bet. Hit areas that have crops adjacent to good cover. Try early in morning or late afternoon.

Any idea where I can get a map of public hunting land?

The Iowa Sportsmens Atlas

You can buy one at Walmart for around $20 ?, or you could just find one and browse through it without spending the money. I bought one because it maps all Iowa counties and highlights all public lands, lakes and waterways, plus I do travel a little.

You could check out the iadnr website, not sure if there's anything on there that would help you ?

The Iowa Sportsmens Atlas

You can buy one at Walmart for around $20 ?, or you could just find one and browse through it without spending the money. I bought one because it maps all Iowa counties and highlights all public lands, lakes and waterways, plus I do travel a little.

You could check out the iadnr website, not sure if there's anything on there that would help you ?
Buy it! Worth every penny. Very easy to spend more on gas wandering aimlessly without it searching for a place to go. Bought mine 14 years ago first time I went to Iowa same time I bought my license. Mine is a little outdated but can be updated by checking idnr website. Ranks right up there with the Bible (almost) if you are serious about hunting. Takes all the guessing out of where to go for whatever you are hunting. Then sign up on IDNR website for August roadside survey to get bird count. This will give you a basic idea of the bird population in each area. Good luck!

Last edited:
The DNR website has all of the same information as the atlas' do anymore, buy they don't give road names etc when you're trying to navigate there.

unless i'm mistaken there is some nice public ground just east of ankeny. send me a message sometime i'll let you tag along.

He's right there's some public east of town 15 miles, called Chicaqua Bottoms. I'd recommend a dog if you plan to hunt there, very expansive but holds some birds.

You may also could drive around and knock on some doors. I've got permission to a couple private places that hold good numbers.

Back