Deposit on a dog.

FCSpringer

What do all the breeders you know Do about a guy who backs out of a deposit on a pup? I have backed out on a pup once and I lost my 100$, I figured that was gona happen. The dog just simply was not what I expected out of the litter, But I had 2nd pick. I went home with no pup and no 100$. No argueing. I have a deposit on a pup now and the guy found a pup out of unproven breeding that he can buy now for a couple hun less, From a guy that just bred a appartment dog without even getting the hips checked. There is no health screening, no guarentee, and no training follow up. I test the Dogs for PFK, PRA,CERF, OFA and blood tests. Also Brucilosis before the breeding. I guarentee the pup for any hereditary diseases. for 26 months, alowing time for OFA, and guarentee if you are not satisfied with the dog for any reason I Buy it back. We offer free training sessions weekly as long as you Want to come, we always need help too so no big deal, the training is very good and FREE except your shells and birds. Also the pedigree is well, NICE! the stud also in his first year trialing finished 6th in the nation in points for his division,"Running less than 1/2 the trials" 2008. The Guy came and watched The dog run and was floored, He hunted with a guy's dog out of a previous litter and wanted one, the reason for his deposit. What the Heck do you do when a guy backs out at the last month when he found a 200$ mutt, In the past I have Given all deposits back but that is getting old especialy when I have given up one myself, Just wanted to see what the thoughts are on a situation like this.:confused:Your advice is appreciated, I am a serious hobby breeder that raises only 1 litter a year with some realy nice dogs and never have proffited from all that I put in them. Thanks

You're probably not obligated to do it, but if it was me I would give the money back. At the very least, hold his money until you sell the dog you would have been holding for him, and then refund his deposit. I don't know what the law says, but that's the right thing to do.

Besides, if that's how this guy's mind works, then you are lucky you didn't sell him a pup. If you are as proud of this litter as it sounds like you are, then you should be relieved that you can now sell this pup to somebody else.

Just my 2 cents.

My thoughts are leaning that way too, I think the guy would be an OK responsible owner of a dog though. But this has happened before so I am just seeing if any of you have been in either situation before. Thanks to all for any input, it may be somthing to think about for input on future pup contracts.;)

No way. A "deposit" is a guarantee that this person is going to buy from you. If they back out, it's their loss, not yours.

If you were unable to produce a pup for him, then yes, it should be refunded. But that's not the case. He changed his mind after agreeing to something. You didn't.

Well noted, There is the fact that the guy involved came to me with a friend and both wanted one based on the ones father owning one out of a previous litter and both liked that dog so much they both put down deposits. I may not have bred the dogs this year If I did not have that kind of intrest. Since the two wanted one so bad and both males I decided to go ahead with the breeding.

I know breeders that go both ways. If you can sell the pup without any added expense I'd probably refund the deposit. However, if you end up with additional expenses (advertising, etc.) to sell the pup I'd keep the deposit.

There is two points here that I'm considering. (1)That is he asked you to breed him a dog and gave you his promise in cash to take one. (2) When he found a cheapy for $200, He tries to back out of his promise by way of a refund. Verdict: I say No, Breach Of Contract. He should lose his Deposit. To me it is a Point Of Law.

Last edited:
OH and by the way don't be bashfull because The party is not here on the forum and I am not trying to insult anybody. There could be a chance that the person see's the forum in the future but anything is possible and I will never mention names any how. I am useing this information for future transactions thats it. Thankyou for your input.:thumbsup:

I know breeders that go both ways. If you can sell the pup without any added expense I'd probably refund the deposit. However, if you end up with additional expenses (advertising, etc.) to sell the pup I'd keep the deposit.

Agreed. If I have a pup that was spoken for and did not go, and pump a bunch of food vet expenses and time before it goes I will not give the deposit back. (only happened once).
________
NEW JERSEY MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing. If you were able to sell all of the pups in a "reasonable" time then you should give the deposit back, if the pup caused "undue hardship" trying to find a home then you should keep the money. The deposit is a two way street, not just a guarentee to the buyer you will save him a puppy.
Bucky

I will give it back if all the pups are gone by age three months, less costs of shots beyond 8 weeks. Food, medicine, possibility of something happening to a dog you could have sold to someone else plus your time in socializing the pup---priceless-----Hell no!!!

I got $200 deposts last year and had no quitters. I paid good $ for good dogs and I test their abilities with NAVHDA and x-ray the hips. If somebody bugs out without a solid reason(not buying a dog elsewhere), I do not think they deserve one of my dogs and I question how seriously they hunt.

By the way---Pudelpointers on the ground June 23rd!!!!
________
LINCOLN BLACKWOOD HISTORY

Last edited:
I tell people up front that it is a nonrefundable deposit. I might refund it to a relative if the party dies or to the individual if health was an issue. Otherwise, they still have a deposit with me and can use it on a later litter. I've only had 2 back out on a litter in 14 years and neither asked for a refund. If they came in today, they would still have a deposit toward a pup.

This has been the thought I have been useing. But this guy was going to be coming to the club training and I didn't want any hard feelings. I agree you have to put your foot down for the ones that just simply disregard responsibility.

Back