Deep snow/ice and a deep feeze

In eastern iowa the fields are burried in deep snow and ice, most cover is drifted over and the pheasants are struggling. We are in a deep cold weather pattern and pheasants can only take so much, they carry little body fat in a good year. I've been putting out corn where i know birds are. I made another round today and the birds were clearly hungry, not wanting to go far when i pulled over next to where they were comfortable, as i dumped corn. I'm getting a 1000lbs of corn tomorrow from an elavator, the guy that runs the elevator has been making the rounds as well. This is one of 'those winters' where we will see a major winterkill,at least in east central Iowa . If the pheasants don't get some assistance, next year will be tough hunting. The bird numbers this year were as high as they've been in the last twenty years and I figure spending several hundred dollars on corn to tide these birds through is better than the bar tabs I'll rack up next year if the pheasant population tanks. I implore other hunters in areas affected as severely as mine to contact their local grain elavator, make the rounds where birds are grouping up and consider it a small investment in being able to recreate in the fall.

Yah,10 below right now here in the NW part of the state, another dusting of snow, several inches down now. I have been feeding for awhile now, I walk in about 3 eights of a mile, to the barrel of corn where I feed them. The deep snow and cold makes that a job. The next week plus, temps will be burtual cold, see a -20 as a low in the forecast.

I posted in a different thread here, but got more corn today and put out about 15 gallons in a few different spots, plus added to where I had been feeding, 4 more buckets full there. This is shaping-up to be a tough winter for them here.....and not halfway through February yet.

Fed again today. Received another 3-4 inches of snow since I fed last and low temps have been below zero for a while now and will be for almost another week....very hard on all wildlife. Hope others are putting out grain for the pheasants. I am trying to do what I can to still have a good population of birds when spring comes. If I can get the food plots to produce better, this wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I put out 1200lbs in the last 2 weekends, I got a heck of a deal by going to a local grain elevator where I know the owner. Even paying market price of $5/bushel is a lot cheaper than buying bags at farm and fleet. There was a country block I drove that had 150 pheasants that were hanging out near the road in 4 different groups in brushy creek bottoms. There was a spot i stopped to dump corn where there were 6-7 birds in a bush, turns out there were about 40 underneath the snow in a cave formed by the brush and grass. That was really cool to see, I'm glad the wife was with to see what the animals go through in a winter like this and why I've bought north of 2,000lbs of corn so far. Looks like the deep freeze is about to end in my neck of the woods, thankfully.

Back