De Smet area and weather

bauerline

I was planning on making my first trip to SD this year for 3 days of hunting in De Smet, SD. It's a total of 3 of using coming out. But it looks like I may have to change those plans because of weather. It looks like snow and ice is to cover my travel route from Pennsylvania to SD. What are they expecting out there over the next few days? I saw there was a winter storm warning for later this week. I was planning on leaving friday night and hunt sunday, monday and tuesday. I have been looking forward to this for a long time but I don't want to drive through bad weather only to have poor hunting conditions. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As now predicted, De Smet should be ok once you get there. I'll try to keep everyone posted on the storm. Minnesota and Iowa will get hammered too.
________
American Center

Last edited:
Thanks for keeping an eye out Uncle Buck. We have decided not to make the trip. Everything looks good for SD but the drive through the other states from Pa could be little tricky. We decided not to risk it and will try Nov. of next year.

Everything looks good for SD

That's not true. All but the very western part of the state is expected to get a lot of snow along with 40 mph winds. Forecast is for anywhere from 6-18 inches. Looks like the SE part of the state is going to get the worst of it.

Good decision to stay home. Come back next year earlier in the season to avoid the weather problem. Although there is never a guaranty out here with the weather.

Back