Day 1 adventures

So my neighbor and I are in southeast Kansas chasing quail and it has been far from hunting and more of a walk in the WA with a gun. Partly due to our inexperience and young dogs. Long story short lost my pup for about an hour and the neighbors dog got caught in two foot traps. What a day and nothing to show for it. Frustrating to say the least. Probably many more frustrating days ahead until I learn the ropes. Just thought I'd share.

Well, that was not a great day ;)

Stick with it, the pup will get the hang of it. Bird exposure and hunting time does wonders for a pup.

The getting caught in traps is not good. Do you have a tracking collar? They are pricey but worth the money. You will not loose the pup with one,

Yeah, I'm guessing that this one will go in the hard knocks file. You will have those along the way. If everyone gets to go home in decent health, it's all good. Don't tell the wife anything bad, she'll find something else for you to do:)

If everyone gets to go home in decent health, it's all good. Don't tell the wife anything bad:)

Exactly. Although it is hard to hide six staples in the face and a vet bill to remove porcupine quills. I hope to never see a dog in a trap.

Would recommend a way to locate your dog. Low tech, bell. High tech, GPS.

Thanks guys for all the responses. I have been looking at a tracking collar, beeper collar etc... Beeper collar seems a bit annoying and hard on the dogs ears and tracking collar a big pill to swallow. But soon enough I'll have one. The dog was fine the next day from the trap and pointed two quail so that was positive. Made home safe Sunday and made some memories. We will just have to try again another time.

I bought a tracking collar this year. I'm pretty cheap by nature, so I really felt it! I kept thinking they'd come down in price and/or there'd be more options by now, but that didn't happen....The peace of mind is worth it, and it should last a looong time. I've got a new pup and a 5-year old, so I'll have to choke down the cost of a second collar soon.

We all have those days. :)

I lost my boy twice this year - once early duck season (I think he couldn't hear us in the loud rushes) and once a couple of weeks ago in a gnarly CRP planting. I've had my eye on the GPS's and this is the best deal I've found, just thought I'd share:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Garm...ts&Ntt=astro&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I can't stand beepers and the bell has its limitations. I had a hard time justifying something so high-tech just to go shoot local birds, but I think the peace of mind will be worth it. Of course my GPS will be here 2 days before the orange army comes out for shotgun season so it won't get much use for a few weeks. :rolleyes: ;)

Back