david0311---Pheasant Care

david0311

Season getting closer:):)

Just a thought--18 days to S.D. opener

Does anyone else try and clean their birds in the field??

When hunting myself --I like to clean birds as soon as possible--

So--when hunting by myself with one or two others--(not guiding)

I have a old cooler about half full with fresh water and ice in warmer weather

A box of gloves--shears---

Clean birds as soon as back to truck--while warm and easy to clean--

Rest/ water dogs while doing so

Birds go in to cooler along with gloves

While driving --birds are sloshed around and given a good cleaning

On returning to camp /lodging you have nice clean birds--who only need a rinse a little final clean and bagging--especially nice if in motel/hotel

Just a thought--that works for me--

Last edited:
Never thought of doing that. Seems like a good idea to me.

Last year (my first year), I was lucky enough to live 5 minutes from my hunting field. This issue never arose. I'd just clean them when I got home. I'm going about three hours out this year, so I'll be interested in hearing how everyone approaches this aspect of hunting.

Depends. My usual spot I built a cleaning station onsite with running water so we clean birds all the way.

If hunting elsewhere I do about what you do, get the really messy part done out in the field, get them cooling down, and finish up back in town. I don't do the sloshing in the cooler deal, usually I am in a Subaru outback and wouldn't want to set myself up for leaking bloody water inside the car. I rinse them pretty good prior to putting them in the cooler.

Some folks I know swear by aging the birds, hang them intact in the garage for a few days before processing. I haven't done that.

Last edited:
gut birds asap once back at vehicle wash out insides good then bag em up put on ice i skin birds once home & store in freezer bags. .

i was told i was scared of guts for gut n my birds asap??? same guy said he agged his dead pheasants guts intact for 5-7 days b4 eating them that a little different then id recomend but each to there own...

if i gonna cook birds for camp meat ill only leave wing/head in birds in transport then cook asap dont want a warden bust n my b****

What you guys said.

I'm only about 35 minutes from my usual hunt area, so I field dress the birds immediately, removing viscera and internal organs...giving the heart and lungs to my dog, if he'll want them (Young Bert thought they were a treat. Mick thinks they should be cooked.)

Then, because I use a game bag, I put the carcass in a plastic bread bag and put that in the game bag, keeping bird and the other stuff I carry separate from each other.

Since I can only have two birds, it's never very heavy.

wear is around here??? what state???

a rooster head attached is not enuff sex identifacation??? ok i leave the birds sex identifacation requirments for the state im hunting on if i gonna cook for camp meat ...

In Nebraska you must leave a wing and leg attached to the bird for sex id. I would rather just clean the bird at home and not risk getting a ticket for no id on the bird. The fines in Nebraska can coast a good penny for no id.

david0311

I thought it would go unsaid that bird are cleaned--with identification as required by law--:eek:

I leave the leg to meet S.D. requirements--a wing or head would also meet the requirement for proper and legal possession--

No intent to lead anyone astray or suggest anyone violate the law--:cheers:

I thought it would go unsaid that bird are cleaned--with identification as required by law--:eek:

I leave the leg to meet S.D. requirements--a wing or head would also meet the requirement for proper and legal possession--

No intent to lead anyone astray or suggest anyone violate the law--:cheers:

Agreed. I assumed this without having you write it. :)

I'm a little different than most I guess. I've made the trip from Wisconsin to South Dakota the last couple of years. I leave every bird I shoot whole, with guts and all in them until I get back home to Wisconsin.

I am diligent about immediately putting them in an ice filled cooler and they stay there until I get home. I change the ice daily, then usually put them in a refridgerator in the garage for a couple of more days before I clean them. This means they have been dead from 2 - 5 or so days before they are cleaned. I've never had a bad bird, spoiled bird, or bad meat. Not once. Again I will note that those birds immediately go on and stay on fresh (changed at least daily) ice.

And actually if you run a search on this site, you'll find several threads here about aging birds before cleaning them. Some say it enhances their flavor.

Enhances their flavor? In what way?

Same philosophy as why restaurants will aged a good steak. The proteins will slowly start to break down the muscle mass, making it slightly more tender (tender is not an issue with pheasants) but will alter the taste slightly.

Same philosophy as why restaurants will aged a good steak. The proteins will slowly start to break down the muscle mass, making it slightly more tender (tender is not an issue with pheasants) but will alter the taste slightly.

This is true, I do the same thing with my birds when the temps are cool enough. I'll let mine hang in the garage for a day before cleaning when its cold. If its warm I clean them right away and get them on ice. When I clean mine I'll gut and skin them and also leave one foot and one wing to prove sex. I'm not sure how others are cleaning their birds but you can clean them and still leave parts attached that prove sex.

I guess for me, its situational. Sometimes I field dress, sometimes I wait till im back at the cabin.

One of my peeves though is to pull up onto a hunting spot, and let the dogs out to air while I get ready, only to find my dogs gorging on guts and feathers from cleanings that occurred previously. :(

Great article, Steve..

Last edited:
I guess for me, its situational. Sometimes I field dress, sometimes I wait till im back at the cabin.

One of my peeves though is to pull up onto a hunting spot, and let the dogs out to air while I get ready, only to find my dogs gorging on guts and feathers from cleanings that occurred previously. :(

Great article, Steve..

yes i hate that as well i try to take my birds to a ditch or culvert or near water to dress em i fugure coons will clean it up asap... also sucks to find skinned pheasants stuck on fence posts seen that alot in ND by parking areas??? found 3 roosters by my parked van on 1 hunt last year in SD all breasts were riped out by the crops & the guys left the rest tossed in front of my van ??? no legal sex left on birds...

i dont like leaving evidence i shot birds at public land spots either just me i pick up as many feathers as i can find lol

Back