Daily Bag Limit for SD

pheasantaddict

What is the Daily Bag Limit ( max # of a particular game that one hunter per day may take or kill) for SD? I thought you were only allowed 3 birds/day.

I'm not sure if SD law actually addresses group hunting, but it is accepted that one hunter can shoot any number of birds to obtain the limit for the group. The only issue I heard from a warden when interviewed by a local tv station was that a group of hunters must be in the same field. If part of your group is hunting in a different field, then the hunters are not one group and the birds are counted separately.

So as long as the hunters are in ONE group and hunting in the same field together. One hunter could theoritically shoot 60 birds in one day with SD's group limit of 20 hunters.

Last edited:
SD Daily Bag Limit

And that is one good reason to hunt with just a couple of guys and discuss the matter before you go into the field. Are we shooting our own birds or are we party hunting. You can end up with some real pissed off people if it isn't clear. I like to shoot my three and then just work my dog so the others have a chance to shoot too. Especially when you have new people to Pheasant hunting, then they can shoot mine too.

To me I think there are more factors in party hunting than just birds in the bag. Who pushes, who flanks, who blocks....chances are there are instances where each and all get equal shots. If you walk enough fields in a 3 day hunt, there will be days where some get more shots than some, but I really believe that all will equalize I think some days guys with dogs have the advantage and guys that dont wont....then vice versa. The biggest factor is shots for me.......some guys will get 15 shots in a hunt and get 2 birds....and some guys will get 9 shots in a hunt and get 7 birds.......

I think as long as duties for walking, flanking, blocking are shared and shots fired all equal out...then it is what it is. The only thing to maybe frown upon is the guy that flanks......shoots 6 birds of a 21 bird limit, then when the area shrinks down into a circle and birds get up where other guys can shoot and that same guy still takes the quck shot.......then there is probably cause for a quick chat.

Party hunting

I agree totally with TBo on his observations on party hunting. As was stated...over a 3 day hunt everyone usually gets an opportunity to shoot at least 3 birds. Now if you can't hit the broadside of a barn...that's another story.

We consistently hunt with groups of 12-20 guys. This fall we had 20 guys that hunted 3 days and we shot 180 birds...which in and of itself seems phenomenal. All wild birds...

We did have one guy who would consistently jump out on the flank and would shoot at anything and everything. After a couple days we gently and kindly asked him to let some other guys have a chance at some good shots...which he did! It usually all works out if handled properly.

Back