cyber scouting

I know I know I know, no need to beat me up. I'm coming blind, be there Saturday (Milford). I will be by myself, with my 3 yr old GSP. We tried to make the trip last January as some of you know but the night b4 leaving we had a house fire and lost everything but lives. We have since rebuilt, and replaced and am making this winter trip to get one last hurrah in for me and the pooch.

No BS aside I don't want your honey hole. Just your opinion. I don't need to shoot a limit everyday. I would like a crack at a Rooster or Two, a covey of quail and a chicken are just a bonus.

What can I expect? Should I stay home (Columbia SC) and spend 150 bucks at the local put and take place to get the dog some work? Or can I expect to find some birds. I will be freelancing everything. WIHA, and knocking on doors. It's gonna cost me 125.00 for License probably 250 lodging, 100 food, 100 bourbon. Gas and tire wear to boot.

Would you spend your money, the little you have for this trip. Or spend it at the local put and take joint?

Thanks for any and all insight,

JJ

Last edited:
I think I remember a post about a house fire maybe.

Come out and hunt quail. Phez are in the dumps but you will probably have a crack or two at one. Chickens will be a pass shooting ordeal this time of year and will require some scouting.

Have not hunted Milford in years so not sure how things are there.

I have no info on Milford as I have never hunted there. Pheasants are hard to find but are out there. Lets put it this way I have been here 4 days and have had shots at 6 roosters. I have seen enough to keep me going but its a couple miles between birds and then its a crap shoot if they will hold. When I was up in November I hunted quail one day and did well. There are a lot more quail than pheasant right now. Its your call if you make that drive or not.

That must be some top shelf bourbon. :cheers:

I would expect you should probably be able to get your dog into a few birds, but that's a pretty long drive. The last few seasons, I feel like I am basically just taking the dogs for a run, and maybe shoot dinner if all goes according to plan. I haven't had a "fill the freezer" season for several years.

Good luck to you either way.

Monetarily you are not far off with gas and food of spending a grand ? If you are making yor decision solely on dollars and cents . The put and take place is the way to go .

If you look forward to an adventure happy with finding a couple coveys a day and the possibility at a rooster or two during your trip and won't miss the money you should be good to go .

The quail numbers have had a nice rebound from the areas we have hunted .

Gas is as cheap as I can remember since we have been going to KS. I agree with all the above with the roosters being down. I would add them to your bonus list. Quail are up from last year but spooky. Id take good road trip and sub par hunting over a great day on a preserve anytime!

Gas is as cheap as I can remember since we have been going to KS. I agree with all the above with the roosters being down. I would add them to your bonus list. Quail are up from last year but spooky. Id take good road trip and sub par hunting over a great day on a preserve anytime!

That makes two of us. I would rather hunt 3 days and kill 3 roosters ( or maybe none) than to hunt two hours on a preserve and shoot 4. I don't think the dogs get much out of a preserve hunt either, unless they are a pup. I took my dogs to a preserve hunt one time with some friends that talked me into going, they acted like the birds were wounded. They caught several of them. They would flash point then jump in, if the bird flew they would run along under or just behind it. They never ever jump point on a wild bird. I'm not sure what the difference was, but I am never hunting tame birds again.

me too

I know I know I know, no need to beat me up. I'm coming blind, be there Saturday (Milford). I will be by myself, with my 3 yr old GSP. We tried to make the trip last January as some of you know but the night b4 leaving we had a house fire and lost everything but lives. We have since rebuilt, and replaced and am making this winter trip to get one last hurrah in for me and the pooch.

No BS aside I don't want your honey hole. Just your opinion. I don't need to shoot a limit everyday. I would like a crack at a Rooster or Two, a covey of quail and a chicken are just a bonus.

What can I expect? Should I stay home (Columbia SC) and spend 150 bucks at the local put and take place to get the dog some work? Or can I expect to find some birds. I will be freelancing everything. WIHA, and knocking on doors. It's gonna cost me 125.00 for License probably 250 lodging, 100 food, 100 bourbon. Gas and tire wear to boot.

Would you spend your money, the little you have for this trip. Or spend it at the local put and take joint?

Thanks for any and all insight,

JJ

I will be in that area this weekend too. PM me or maybe Ill see ya out there. I hunt both private and public in the area. The the others said, pheasants are down but quail hunting is pretty good.

I hate a pen raised bird. I went with a couple of guys last year. My dog caught a few and they flew like they had concrete on them.

if your dog needs work, stay home. the drive is a bear....save up and come next season, it should be better, we hope.

I'd say come for the adventure, if you're dog can hunt you will find birds. Kansas pheasant are down but there's still birds to be had. Hard to beat getting out and exploring new country and chasing birds around. 3 of us did just that a few weekends ago, went to an area we had never been and ended up getting into some birds and having a good weekend. You only live once, come and enjoy the adventure.

Milford

Had decent luck on walk in ground not too far west of Milford for quail. Look for good cover, pheasant tougher to find.

I'm coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 wild rooster is better than 5 tamies any day. Gas is cheap and you only live once...What great advice. Might even throw the Mr. Buddy in the truck and camp out 1 night to rough it.

Last edited:
Back