Customizing truck canopy

mdog

So I just pulled the trigger on a new Tundra Double Cab. Planning on a canopy ... likely either a Leer 100R or 100XR ... pretty basic. My question to everyone here is for ideas to better regulate temperature. I have always noticed issues with my old set-up (which was black) with both hot and cold temps. This outfit will be white but wondering if anyone has good suggestions for insulating to help with both extremes. I was thinking of even lining with the reflective bubble insulation? Happy to hear or see pictures. Thanks!

Hot is always the biggest challenge - I would definitely not insulate the topper. Dogs have fur and you can put hay in the box so they can nest in a bit. Blankets or kennel covers also help a lot when its really cold.

A couple of things I have done to help:
1. Get a topper with sliding side windows. The ones that tilt out do not give a lot of airflow on those hot days. It also helps to open the front slider to promote airflow. Tinted glass also helps.
2. Get a remote thermometer - can be found cheap at the lumber store or Amazon. This way you can monitor dog temps from the cab and make adjustments.
3. Good clean hay (not straw) in the dog boxes. Insulates well and dries them off. Straw turns to dust.
4. Tailgate seal and plug any holes in the box to limit air leaks.

The last one I did might be seen as a bit much, but I love hunting MN and SD late season so it works for me. I ran my engine coolant hoses (that go to my cab heater core) to the bed of the truck and installed an auxiliary heater (JEGS 260 CFM, 28k BTU) in the bed with a 3-speed switch for the fan in the cab. I have ball valves under the hood that I can use to proportion the amount of flow that goes to the box heater (including none when its hot out) before going to the cab heater. It works pretty well - can keep the box at 50-60F while its -20F outside and running down the highway, with plenty of heat for the cab. I also run a 'winter front' on my grill to limit radiator heat loss.

Purchase a Sensor Push Blue tooth thermometer from Amazon and put it right in the kennel with the dog. I have an insulated 2 hole dog box so I rarely have a problem with cold, to keep them cool I have Ryobi cordless fans that hang on the kennel doors. You can get about 8 hours out of the big batteries running on low.

Purchase a Sensor Push Blue tooth thermometer from Amazon and put it right in the kennel with the dog. I have an insulated 2 hole dog box so I rarely have a problem with cold, to keep them cool I have Ryobi cordless fans that hang on the kennel doors. You can get about 8 hours out of the big batteries running on low.
what he said—Ryobi fans are great addition-mine are always inside my vehicle (Expedition )
at night they are on the bed with me🙂

My 100xq cap has carpeted (insulated) headliner.
I also have the removable front slider window.
I use these type of battery fans.
I put an insulated, zip up cover on the kennel when it’s cold.

1621651887370.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I already have a remote temp sensor attached to their boxes which is why I know it gets so darn hot. New canopy will have sliders (old one was the tilt style), removable front window and headliner. Guess I'll make the investment on the fans as well. I run a 2 hole zingerwinger box so will have to come up with some sort of custom insulation ... maybe just one or two inch foam. Appreciate the responses.

NOTICE!!
Just found out—
Home Depot—Has the Ryobi Fans has a sale on the internet—
Fan-2 batteries-charger on sale for $99.00!
Your basically paying for the 2 batteries and charger-getting the fan free!
Will have this deal in store some time this week

I need a similar sale on a Milwaukee fan. All my tools are Milwaukee and I have all kinds of batteries. I can't bring myself to buy a Ryobi fan and batteries when I have about 10 Milwaukee batteries.

I need a similar sale on a Milwaukee fan. All my tools are Milwaukee and I have all kinds of batteries. I can't bring myself to buy a Ryobi fan and batteries when I have about 10 Milwaukee batteries.
Opposite for me—have Ryobi-batteries already-
You must be a pro with those high quality Milwaukee tools

Opposite for me—have Ryobi-batteries already-
You must be a pro with those high quality Milwaukee tools
Well most of them came from my dad who was a plumber for 30 years. He switched to Milwaukee only about 10 years ago so I got plenty of hand me downs as he got newer tools or can borrow anything I need. Plus he's usually hunting with me, so I have access to lots of battery power haha

They go on sale all the time. I got my bare tool fan for either 59 or 79. I can't remember. Best money I ever spent, I drag thing everywhere come summer time!!

Back