Current conditions 1/22/24

benelli-banger

Wind blew 25-40+ all day yesterday, made for some serious drifts in places. Snow is fairly soft and fluffy in the non-drifted areas…shot a few today that were burrowed in the snow and flushed very close by. Saw 300+, probably more, at the spot we hunted. Approaching a cattail slough from a few hundred yards away, shot 2 pretty quick, the cattail slough erupted, 80+ left that spot. Hunted a row of cedars, my buddy on the opposite side, I saw 200+ exit the west end. Figured they relocated to some grass on the property, which they did, and most still got out of dodge asap. Some hung around. It’s mid 20’s and sunny, no wind to speak of. Warming up more in the next few days, hope it softens the drifts. Overall, not terribly tough hunting, hardest this year for sure,

1/24/24…34 degrees, wind at 10, gusting to 18, snow much softer than Monday, and a bit softer than Tuesday…just hunted a cattail slough, not hard accessing it or getting around…main bunch of 80 or so busted ahead of my buddy, I veered across the lake and got to a narrow band of cattails…Lena was getting birdy before we entered the cover…shot first rooster that went west, then used my last 2 shells on the one that went east…I pulled on the 3rd that went south, no shells left. Happy to find both that I shot, fairly close to us…10 yards, 30 yards.

Last edited:
BB is just getting ahead of himself in the excitement of things...he knows many of us have closed-out our seasons and he likes to rub it in a bit. I might do the same in similar circumstances! Finish strong BB!

Got my 3 today in the Lake Preston/Arlington area. Had to do my fair share of walking. 1 here, 1 there....lots of hens in-between. Lots of birds in the area. Fun to drive around before shooting hours and check them out. 2 days left for me. Trying to see if I can pull off 12 in 4 days off public. Halfway home. Also....driving home last night right at legal shooting hours, I swear I saw a sharptail. Flushed out of the ditch and flew across the road. I had a pretty good look at it.

Got my 3 today in the Lake Preston/Arlington area. Had to do my fair share of walking. 1 here, 1 there....lots of hens in-between. Lots of birds in the area. Fun to drive around before shooting hours and check them out. 2 days left for me. Trying to see if I can pull off 12 in 4 days off public. Halfway home. Also....driving home last night right at legal shooting hours, I swear I saw a sharptail. Flushed out of the ditch and flew across the road. I had a pretty good look at it.
I appreciate the updates but felllike you are rubbing to it in! 🤣🤣. Seriously, good luck these last two days.

Hope you are right. We will make it into Feb with the snow melting, and it is a short month. March can get sporty, but it usually give some nicer days mixed in.

Long range forecast says we will see more "seasonable" temps/conditions around mid February. Right now bitter cold is bottled up in Alaska. Usually when they are very cold, we are warm, and vice versa. That cold is supposed to drift south but as it stands its going to lose its strength on the way.

Any precipitation that falls before that colder weather arrives will be rain. Its way too warm for snow here. Next week looks like 50 degrees which would break a record here for early February.

Bad winter if you are a snowmobiler, ice fisherman, or skier. Good if you're a pheasant, deer, or turkey.

1/24/24…34 degrees, wind at 10, gusting to 18, snow much softer than Monday, and a bit softer than Tuesday…just hunted a cattail slough, not hard accessing it or getting around…main bunch of 80 or so busted ahead of my buddy, I veered across the lake and got to a narrow band of cattails…Lena was getting birdy before we entered the cover…shot first rooster that went west, then used my last 2 shells on the one that went east…I pulled on the 3rd that went south, no shells left. Happy to find both that I shot, fairly close to us…10 yards, 30 yards.
Open until 1feb.

Back