crops aren't getting planted

I was told firsthand, soybeans just started in SE ND and N SD. Recent ran put a hold on harvesting. Corn is another month till start by an educated guess. Depends on the weather.

I would expect that harvest will be 2.5 to 3 weeks late this year. Beans will really start to pick up in the next 7 days or so and corn will get started just prior to the opener and first week of November will really start to roll. That is assuming weather allows equipment in to the fields OK and purely a guess so take it with a grain of salt. :)

I would guess beans will start really coming out depending on weather in the next 2 weeks or so, and corn is probably another month out. This is all depending on weather and field conditions, but I would guess corn harvest will be going hard the month of Nov and in to Dec.

SOUTH DAKOTA CROP PROGRESS AND CONDITION
SIOUX FALLS, S.D. October 7, 2019 - For the week ending October 6, 2019, there were
3.2 days suitable for fieldwork, according to the USDA's National Agricultural Statistics Service. Topsoil moisture supplies rated 0 percent very short, 1 short, 65 adequate, and 34 surplus. Subsoil moisture supplies rated 0 percent very short, 1 short, 67 adequate, and 32 surplus.
Field Crops Report: Corn condition rated 2 percent very poor, 6 poor, 30 fair, 45 good, and
17 excellent. Corn dented was 91 percent, behind 100 last year and 99 for the five-year average. Mature was 36 percent, well behind 88 last year and 80 average. Harvested was 2 percent, behind 15 last year and 12 average.
Soybean condition rated 3 percent very poor, 9 poor, 31 fair, 48 good, and 9 excellent. Soybeans dropping leaves was 78 percent, behind 95 last year and 96 average. Harvested was 5 percent, well behind 27 last year and 36 average.

Bob: thanks for the report. Murdo, SD expecting 6" of snow Thursday. Might put a damper on any harvest plans...

Put the crop reports in the perspective that 10-30% of acres never got planted in most areas. So for the hunter, the number of fields with actual shelter crops in them are either equal or ahead at this point despite only 2% of the corn being done. We might fall behind in the next couple weeks from where we should be but not by too much. More interested to find out what all the weedy ditches, fence rows and crop rows will produce. I enjoy the strategy aspect of changing conditions. Had a great time last year working to outsmart the drought areas and go see new ground.

Put the crop reports in the perspective that 10-30% of acres never got planted in most areas. So for the hunter, the number of fields with actual shelter crops in them are either equal or ahead at this point despite only 2% of the corn being done. We might fall behind in the next couple weeks from where we should be but not by too much. More interested to find out what all the weedy ditches, fence rows and crop rows will produce. I enjoy the strategy aspect of changing conditions. Had a great time last year working to outsmart the drought areas and go see new ground.

I personally think a large percentage of those unplanted fields will offer nearly as much "shelter" as a normal, unpicked corn field. Even if they're not consistently weed choked, they're spotty & scrubby enough to offer pretty good cover early in the season. Pheasants just don't need much for the bulk of their day, especially early in the season. And some of the fields have quite a few volunteer corn plants popping up here & there that are short enough that they'll offer food for pheasants. I really think these unplanted fields played havoc with the brood survey in August. Somewhat bare fields with weeds & stuff scattered all over made it unnecessary for birds to be on/near a gravel road. But, if a person can get permission, some of these unplanted fields will even be huntable, as long as they're not under water or too muddy to walk in. It's definitely going to be a strange season in many areas.

Last edited:
Back