Crock pot

Do you ever throw a whole cleaned pheasant in the crock pot and then scrape all the meat off or do you just throw in breasts and thighs?

Get one of these Precision Cookers. A THOUSAND times better to cook pheasant, deer, etc., in than a crock pot. $80 or $90 on e-bay, lots of other places on the 'Net. Tenderizes so well even the legs are wonderful.

You do have to have a vacuum packer, but who doesn't these days?

Set the heart and liver aside and seal the legs in one vacuum pack bag and the body in another, along with whatever seasoning you like. Doesn't have to be a deep vacuum seal, just get all the easy air out.

Set the temp at 165 degrees and cook the bag of legs in a big pot of water for 10 hours, then throw in the bag with the breast, lower the temp to 131 degrees and cook both bags for three more hours. Remove everything from the bags and brown all in a skillet with olive oil and garlic, and at the same time cook the heart, liver and gizzard.

You will not believe how good this is. I love pheasant just cooked in a skillet, but the legs are too tough. This fixes that ENTIRELY, not to mention giving you the tenderest, juiciest breast you ever throwed a lip over.

The water in the pot is clean so use it to water your plants. :)

Bon!

Last edited:
Get one of these Precision Cookers. A THOUSAND times better to cook pheasant, deer, etc., in than a crock pot. $80 or $90 on e-bay, lots of other places on the 'Net. Tenderizes so well even the legs are wonderful.
This type of cooking is called sous vide if anyone needs more info from google. I've never done it, but I've heard it's the best way to make tenderized meat without it drying out.

Back