Crate training puppy

Pete Bauer

I've got a 6yr old lab that is crate trained when traveling (back of the truck under the topper)

We recently got an 8wk old lab puppy. She's in the crate overnight and when we're gone without issue.

What's the right age to put her in a crate in the back of the truck? Right now she sits of my lab (and is borderline nuts). I'd like to put her in the back of the truck, but also don't want to scare her away from it.

My other lab rode in the cab of the pickup for the first few years of her life so I didn't deal with it then.

Any help would be great.

Pete

get her in there right away! Make short trips with fun stuff like retrieving when she gets out. She will learn "hey when I get in here we go do fun stuff." Plus it is safer for them in an accident. Just don't use it as a punishment.

What Joel said x2
I would add use a small crate strapped down or a larger crate with a divider to keep pup from moving around to much.

get her in there right away! Make short trips with fun stuff like retrieving when she gets out. She will learn "hey when I get in here we go do fun stuff." Plus it is safer for them in an accident. Just don't use it as a punishment.

what he said.....keep it positive.

Its amazing how fast they catch on!

Remi got in the back of the truck at a very young age and quickly learned that when she got out - we were exploring a field, training with others, hunting etc. She gets so excited. We started with short trips and if we werent heading to one of the places I mentioned, I made sure to treat her when she got out. Associating it with good things I suppose. She also rode in the cab of my truck. It only took one bad trip to the vet and now shes hesitant to go inside but will jump up on the tailgate and into her kennel immediately when commanded to do so. My opinion is like the others mentioned...now is better than tomorrow

I am always cautious of using crates in the back of the pick up, with any dog. However I do use a quality dog box that is secured. That said, my puppies ride in their crates in the back seat of a pick up at 7 weeks of age. All part of crate training. I always take them to school with me for crate training so they are in the crates in the back seat of the truck as much as they are in the crate at home. I let them out several times a day and sometimes will have a student go out and air them. Never really thought much about it, it is just part of crate training. Puppies don't care where they are at as long as they are with you. That is why the front of the truck is better than the bed. If you have them in the cab, you can talk to them and give that reassurance, instead of the bed with no communication. Everything has to be positive without trauma at 8 weeks of age. You want to instill confidence, not find ways to plant seeds of doubt.

Last edited:
Back