Crappie fishing day

quail hound

I just wanted to share a pic of the day we had. This was the best crappie bite I've seen in years! There's not a fish on that stringer smaller than 12" and the biggest was 18". Fish fry to ensue.

OOgah! You remind me of my son! Came home with his girl friend a few years ago and stuck his head sheepishly in the door asking if I would help fillet. They had 99 crappie, 1 short of their limit. Lets say I work for shares! Should have went with I keep what I clean! Awesome stringer! Healthy fish. Might have to change your name to Crappie Hound!

Thanks guys. Our limit is 25 per and we could've kept limits but we ended up taking home 30 and throwing as many or more back.

Wow!

Smart of you to fillet them, it will be much cheaper for you to ship my share quick frozen to me.

:D

Looks to have been a great day.:thumbsup:

NICE :thumbsup: Where did you find a lake in Calif. with enough water to float a boat or is it a really good job of photoshop. LOL

NICE :thumbsup: Where did you find a lake in Calif. with enough water to float a boat or is it a really good job of photoshop. LOL

Believe it or not it has actually rained here this year!:cheers: The lakes are rising fast and most should be close to capacity by the end of the rainy season.

YIKES! Their going to outlaw you guys!
What..no picture of your new truck hauling that boat?

Wow! Nice! An 18" crappie would be going on my wall, not on my plate! :laugh:

Many of those look pretty dark under the chin unless it is just a shadow. Are they spawning there?

Wow! Nice! An 18" crappie would be going on my wall, not on my plate! :laugh:

Many of those look pretty dark under the chin unless it is just a shadow. Are they spawning there?

Yeah, I think the males were up fanning beds and females staging to spawn. This lake produces some great quality fish, we've caught quite a few over 18".

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the makes were up fanning beds and females staging to spawn. This lake produces some great quality fish, we've caught quite a few over 18".

Crappie fishing can be really competitive in KS, so I don't make a big fuss when I catch a fish. If it's a keeper I quickly and discreetly slip it into the livewell and continue fishing. If you catch a nice one and stand there admiring it, you'll have a half-dozen boats on you before you know it... Even when you are stealthy you might still meet some new "friends" who use binoculars as a fish locator.:mad:

But if I caught one over 18", I think the whole lake would hear me. :laugh: That's if I didn't just pass out and fall overboard at the sight of the fish. Either way, people would notice... :laugh:

Crappie fishing flies under the radar around here, most bass fish or troll for trout and kokane. The bass bite was real slow that day and we had another bass boat watching us that tied on some crappie jigs but they fished out deep when we were catching all are fish shallow, never saw them catch one before they left.

The forage in that lake is great and we catch the big ones on a 4" yamamoto grub rigged on an 1/8oz darter head. It matches the shad that the big fish are after perfect.

Last edited:
Since I know you guys won't be fishing my honey hole anytime soon I'll let you in on my secret. This is only my second time using the Strike King Krappie Kickers and they've produced pretty big both times.:thumbsup:

I seriously had that image of all those crappie in my dreams last night. I am obviously jealous at a subliminal level.

Lol. Once your water hits 58-60 you'll be able to hammer them too.:cheers:

Back