Correct Shot Size and Choke

I hunted west of Aberdeen near Ipswich many,many years ago and did well.

Mother -in-law lives in Mobridge. When we visited in May I saw lots of birds just outside the city - must have had a great hatch.

Heading to Miller for the second 5-day event and may be all alone. We hunt a farmers land and stay at a house on his property; not deluxe but it works and the price is right.

Was going to post a "request for hunters" on this site, but am reluctant to do so. Have you posted a request for hunters? Just curious...

Jon

If you can't decide tween ic with 6's. and a mod. with 4's the obvious answer is a light mod with 5's.

I like a light mod. with 4's or 5's in both my 3 inch 20 gauge and my 2 3/4 inch 12 when shooting lead.

Hunting has been very good around here. Waht a difference a year can make. A lot less water and all the crops are out. I've already shot about as many pheasants so far this year as I did all of last year.

Private land I assume? Come clean now! :)

Was just out there and did see some birds. Didn't get NW/W or SW of town though, probably better there. On the public or WIA land I wasn't impressed, it was still real wet to the point where water extended out past the cover into short cover that wouldn't hold birds. On WIA's the dang landowners have this wonderful habit of getting the plow or mower in as close to water as they can, thereby taking out a nice ring of what would otherwise be pheasant holding cover.

I'd still say the heyday for that country has passed--, still birds and it will be good as ice locks in but a lot of country is still flooded, roads closed or dangerous to pass, etc.

The one positive is there is NO corn up anymore that wasn't left there on purpose for critters.

I've hunted a lot more public land than private. I've gone NW, W & SW of Aberdeen and I have not run into mcuh, if any, water. All froze now anyway. More than once I've shot my limit on public land in less than an hour.

Back