confused prairie chicken

I'd say he is in definate lust of something. Maybe he will find a mate. How close to him were you?

He was right beside the pickup, like probably 10 feet away. There are quite a few neighbors talking about him. I have never seen anything like it. Even when out in the fields in a tractor, they usually stay at least 30 or 40 yards away. Its really a weird deal. I'm going back up tomorrow and see if he's still hanging around.

Lol....don't come any closer. Looks like he's picking a fight with anything that comes his way. Wonder what a hawk or coyote will do:rolleyes:

He was still there this morning. A neighbor told me the game warden saw the video and was out to look at him. They think he will leave when the snow finishes going off. There was a hen there with him yesterday. He's creating quite the stir in the neighborhood everybody knows about him. I don't think a coyote will come out there in the open where he's at. The chicken is just there during the midday, and the coyotes are to spooky around here now to get out where he's at. Now a hawk or the eagle I saw a mile from him is a different story.

Very cool. Reminds me of the blue grouse looking for mates in late spring in the mountains around here. Around dusk, they'll be strutting up and down the sides of the dirt roads. If you approach one, sometimes they'll charge at you. With all the coyotes, bears, mountain lions, lynx, etc, you'd think they'd all be wiped out in a week or two. That PC is probably acting normal for the time of year. I'm sure he'll act wilder as soon as mating season ends.

Here is another pic of him about the same time. He is still there a neighbor got a video today. If he sends it to me I will post it. Here he is on a pickup. He has also been on the sun roof of a car.

View attachment 3921

That is really strange.

I saw a couple dozen PC in a bean field last night. Then had one that about hit the windshield.

I tried to get video moved here from facebook but am not smart enough to figure it out.

Last edited:
Back