Conditions

Word on the street is SDGFP is hiring Saddam's old spokesman "Baghdad Bob" to give updates on the state of the pheasant numbers.

First report: "all is well, no reason for concern whatsoever".

Hope it helps the farmers/ranchers...they’re in a tough spot. Talked to 2 of them yesterday, this rain will help a lot. With a decent rain and an end to 100 degree temps, my sources tell me they may get 100 bushel corn...not great, but at $6+ it works...last year was 150-175 bushel corn, but selling it as it was being harvested meant $3 per bushel, give or take. Tough business.

Hope it helps the farmers/ranchers...they’re in a tough spot. Talked to 2 of them yesterday, this rain will help a lot. With a decent rain and an end to 100 degree temps, my sources tell me they may get 100 bushel corn...not great, but at $6+ it works...last year was 150-175 bushel corn, but selling it as it was being harvested meant $3 per bushel, give or take. Tough business.
If corn stays $6+ and the sloughs don't fill up, we should get ready for a good deal of habitat loss. I remember the last time corn hit $7, every low spot got turned over and planted...and flooded out the following years.

Let's just hope they reinvest their earnings in new tractors and outbuildings and not miles of tile.

We're finally getting the kind of rain we've needed. A big, slow moving swath.

Interestingly, I heard the other day that Codington County (Watertown) has three distinct levels of drought (D1, D2 and D3 is what the radio said, but I'm thinking it should have been 0,1 and 2), a testament to how truly spotty the rain has been this spring/summer.

On the upside, I spent yesterday morning driving around and saw some distinct broods. Interestingly, some were about 2/3 grown and one chick I saw couldn't have been more than 2 weeks old, so there has been some re-nesting.

Hi All,

I’ve been a silent observer of this site for the past few years and I’ve finally decided to jump in. With the drought, I’ve been frequently looking at the precip maps and it appears that central SD heading southeast down to the Iowa border has done at least a little better in the past few weeks. Anybody on the ground in that general area seeing at least a little bit more moisture? Fingers crossed for some much needed rain for the rest of the year!

Back