Conditioning

malbus

So I know Im cutting it close (moved for a new job up north and lost track of time), but what is a good way to get your dog in shape? What routines do you follow? How do you know how hard to push? Any advice would be most appreciated.

I just keep my dog at 45 lbs., walk him daily (allowing him to pull), and let him run in the country occasionally. Seems to be ready when the seasons arrive.

I run my dogs in the field a couple days per week. Other than that, we play a little fetch (even one of the setters), and they run around in the fenced back yard.

I think the main this is to make sure your dog does not get fat. IMO way too many people let their dogs get overweight. Every year that I go to Game Fair I am shocked by the number of fat dogs walking around that are expected to perform in the field a month down the road.

Does anyone change the dogs diet a few weeks prior to the opener.....more carbs for instance or a bit higher fat content....I've hear both sides...

I think the comments about being careful about your dog's weight are spot on. Considering that with the advent of GPS colllars, I have heard guys recount that their dogs have run upwards of 20 miles in a day, it is pretty easy to see how debilitating extra weight on a hunting dog can be. If you want to control your dog's weight, monitor his or her food portions carefully. Regarding conditioning, roading is a great option. There have been other posts on this site regarding roading, but it can be as simple as putting a harness on the dog and letting it pull you around while walking behind it. The beauty of roading is that if limited to two to three times per week and worked into gradually, it can be very efficient at building aerobic capacity in addition to specifically working the same muscles that a dog uses while moving though hunting terrain. Simple leash walking at heel can be a good recovery activity to alternate days with roading.

I am right with Jeff. They get to run hard a few times each week, play fetch most days, and stay trim year around. Dog food costs too much to let them get fat:) With my schedule I find it difficult to give them simulated hunting exercise...I can't spend 3 hours walking around with them very often, but I can give them shorter, more intense workouts, and staying trim is huge.

Does anyone change the dogs diet a few weeks prior to the opener.....more carbs for instance or a bit higher fat content....I've hear both sides...

If your going to change to a higher calorie feed ala Performance, most of the recommendations that I have seen indicate to change over 4-6 weeks in advance of frequent hunting or rigorous training.

Higher fat with a moderate amount of protein depending on the activity level. If your dog can handle it, some of the common brands have a performance formula, usually 30/20 protein to fat percent, just make the switch over gradual and always provide fresh water. Hydration is so critical and often overlooked, but just, if not MORE important then food.

Dogs use fat for energy and protein to build and repair muscle tissue. A lot will depend on the dogs metabolism. Hard keepers need more and those that tend to put on weight easily, less. There is no hard rule. For a dog that only sees weekend hunting you may even be able to stay on one feed year round, just increase portions a bit after a hard day in the field.

Sorry about the long answer to your short question.

Last edited:
I am amazed at the fat dogs I see. Even on the boards.
Get em in shape! They live longer that way!

If your going to change to a higher calorie feed ala Performance, most of the recommendations that I have seen indicate to change over 4-6 weeks in advance of frequent hunting or rigorous training.

Higher fat with a moderate amount of protein depending on the activity level. If your dog can handle it, some of the common brands have a performance formula, usually 30/20 protein to fat percent, just make the switch over gradual and always provide fresh water. Hydration is so critical and often overlooked, but just, if not MORE important then food.

Dogs use fat for energy and protein to build and repair muscle tissue. A lot will depend on the dogs metabolism. Hard keepers need more and those that tend to put on weight easily, less. There is no hard rule. For a dog that only sees weekend hunting you may even be able to stay on one feed year round, just increase portions a bit after a hard day in the field.

Sorry about the long answer to your short question.

I appreciate the insight………My GSP is turning 4 and is a house and backyard dog 9 months out of the year. I was able to knock 8 pounds off over the summer….(I got her to stop chicken wingin’ the kids hotdogs out their hands at the backyard bbq)……We’re about 40 days out from the annual SD trip and I was just curious to see if anyone else changed the eating habits and how far out prior to the trip…..She usually eats around 7am and I may start pushing it closer to 9 since you can’t get into the field until 10am…..I may add some more carbs at the morning feeding just to see how much energy she can sustain during the morning workouts……I’m starting to wonder if it’s ME that needs the diet change….haha

I appreciate the insight………My GSP is turning 4 and is a house and backyard dog 9 months out of the year. I was able to knock 8 pounds off over the summer….(I got her to stop chicken wingin’ the kids hotdogs out their hands at the backyard bbq)……We’re about 40 days out from the annual SD trip and I was just curious to see if anyone else changed the eating habits and how far out prior to the trip…..She usually eats around 7am and I may start pushing it closer to 9 since you can’t get into the field until 10am…..I may add some more carbs at the morning feeding just to see how much energy she can sustain during the morning workouts……I’m starting to wonder if it’s ME that needs the diet change….haha

Try letting her run on an empty stomach. I dont feed till about an hour after i am done hunting. The dogs stay much cooler and run a lot better on an empty stomach.

Try letting her run on an empty stomach. I dont feed till about an hour after i am done hunting. The dogs stay much cooler and run a lot better on an empty stomach.

good call Tbear......I have 40 days to get it right....I'm going to try that for the next week

Great points Tbear.

I don't like to make any changes to my dogs diet within a month of a big trip other than to add a little yogurt. It seems to help with upset stomachs and we are usually working pretty hard by then so the extra calories help. I am a big believer in feeding in the evening after the days work has been done. It seems to make sense to give the dog 8 hours or more to replenish their energy supply by feeding in the evening and allowing the meal to be digested and nutrients absorbed over night while the dog is resting.

In the July/August issue of Shooting Sportsman, George Hickox has a good article regarding nutrition and feeding.

Don't forget the benefits of swimming for conditioning your dog. Here in North Texas it's so hot even in September and October that swimming is sometimes my only option for getting a dog in shape for an early season trip.

Yogurt?..........never thought of that....pretty soon she'll be asking for a little Pino Noir and an after dinner mint............The things we do for our dogs..I've had her for going on 4 years.....I've hunted 35 years with out one and don't know how I did it...........4 years old on Christmas Eve....I begged the wife for years wanting one.....soon as the kids came she said "Maybe it's time the kids had a dog.....but you can get whatever breed you want"......

Please.... Please..... Please, do not run a dog hard on a full stomach OR drink large quantities of water all at once while exercising. You risk a chance for bloat also known as Gastric torsion (google it). Allow minimum of 2-3 hours and better yet, during hunting days I would feed once that day and after the days end at that.

Here's some info that may be useful: http://purinaproclub.com/sportingdo...ning-plays-important-role-in-performance.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks all for your helpful tips. I didn't know if there was an "exercising rule of thumb" most followed or not.

Here's what we do during the summer, several times a week.

1. Roading from a bike-2-4 miles each dog. Usually at dawn.

2. Field runs and then retrieving practice w/ launcher.

3. Woods walks in "training covers", never where we're going to be hunting.

4. Swimming

Getting into shape is over. Our grouse season STARTS TOMORROW!!:10sign:

NB

So I know Im cutting it close (moved for a new job up north and lost track of time), but what is a good way to get your dog in shape? What routines do you follow? How do you know how hard to push? Any advice would be most appreciated.

We live near a lake and play fetch there as often as we can.
It keeps my lab in great shape.

Back