Compact Camera For Hunting Trips

Rhodi

I noticed that Canon just released a new compact camera, the PowerShot SX210 IS. Looks like a pretty descent compact with a 14x optical zoom, and it's not too bulky.

but?

would you carry it in the field with you or just for when you get back to the truck pics?i just use the cheap five dollar disposal not as good pics but i can carry it in field without messing it up,i was wanting a good camera like that but carrying a field scares me and you have to have quick pics when your dog goes on point or you will be taking a pic and boom the bird flushes lol wouldnt that be nice oh well

would you carry it in the field with you or just for when you get back to the truck pics?i just use the cheap five dollar disposal not as good pics but i can carry it in field without messing it up,i was wanting a good camera like that but carrying a field scares me and you have to have quick pics when your dog goes on point or you will be taking a pic and boom the bird flushes lol wouldnt that be nice oh well

I would carry it with me since it's pretty small and has the 14x optical zoom. Haven't seen too many compact cameras with that much optical zoom. Probably isn't 100% wx sealed to withstand the elements, but I haven't ruined a camera yet. The prices should drop by the time hunting season rolls around again.

If abuse from being in the field is a concern, they do make some waterproof compact cameras that are supposed to withstand dust, freezing temps, and drops, all within limits of course.

I think that is the same camera we have, the Oympis. But there is definatly room for improvement. But for a basic camera it works pretty well. Can also take short video. But I have seen what some of those slightly higher dollar Cannons or Nikons can do and it is a much better pic. The ones to ask are webguy and kellit, they both are fairly serrious hobbiests at it and would most likely have a good idea for someone. What I don't like about mine is it is slow to react and taking moving shots of ,say a dog leaping in the air on a flush etc. is mostly imposible. One with a good instant burst mode is what I wish I had.

Another one to think about I've seen used is the Flipshot. Fairly compact and take either videos or pictures. They make one in either HD or I think 10 mp. Don't know if you were at Pheasantfest or not, but there was one of the game preserves there that I know used the HD Flipshot in a decent amount of wet snow and it worked just fine. It might seem like more of a video camera but I've used it and it works pretty simply for both. Also, easy upload for the video and with the HD model you can connect it directly to a tv or computer using an HDMI cable.

Im on my third sony but this will probably be my last as Im sick of using the memorysticks instead on SD cards. SD cards are too universal and memorysticks are not

I think that is the same camera we have, the Oympis. But there is definatly room for improvement. But for a basic camera it works pretty well. Can also take short video. But I have seen what some of those slightly higher dollar Cannons or Nikons can do and it is a much better pic. The ones to ask are webguy and kellit, they both are fairly serrious hobbiests at it and would most likely have a good idea for someone. What I don't like about mine is it is slow to react and taking moving shots of ,say a dog leaping in the air on a flush etc. is mostly imposible. One with a good instant burst mode is what I wish I had.
do you have a answer for every thing on here geesh!

How I wish!! I would have had a digital from the start.
All you guys should carry one at all times while hunting or whenever.
Why miss stuff?
My Wife got me a Olympus Stylus, been about 4-5 years I guess. Goes with me always while I'm hunting. light, TOUGH, waterproof, hasn't failed.
I think the Power Shot would be a great choice.

Last edited:
While we are on cameras does anyone have any interest in a Pentex ZX-7 35mm with a 28-200mm Tamron zoom lens? I also have a Pentex external flash and a very nice carry bag.

I know that 35mm's are not popular today but I don't use it anymore and would like to move it on if someone could use it.

Back