Colorado Forum Members

PairOfLabs

Wow, no posts in the CO tab since November! I hunted 3 days in western NE the weekend before the CO opener. I joined a long-time group for
3 days in SoDak near Winner over the weekend that CO opened. I was able to accept a last minute invitation to be a fill-in with another group in SoDak
the weekend after Thanksgiving. So 10 days so far with my now 10 mo. old lab pup and he's doing pretty well. Based on my pre-season scouting of eastern CO around Yuma and Holyoke, and reports I've got back since then, I may not go out in January.
Tom

Tom - It has been a tough season out there! Been out for day trips most weekends, most days a few hens and a rooster wild flushing far. The snow drifts have put a damper on a lot of early season spots but heading out towards Holyoke Saturday to hopefully find a few late season birds.

Happy New Year! I hunt Colorado regularly/weekly with my labs…generally 1 dog at a time. Mostly WIHA. Lots of that habitat that I’ve seen has been grazed or mowed. Most days I’ll walk 10 - 12 miles. Recently, I harvested a rooster on New Year’s Eve and had 1 hen flush wild New Year’s Day. Had one other point on Saturday but unfortunately it was a hen. The snow depth has added a new dimension to walking over the last couple of weeks as well. Most days out on WIHA I’ll feel good if I see a bird within range! I’m getting some good exercise at a minimum, and I enjoy watching the dogs work.

Went out this past weekend and bagged 2 roosters and 2 quail. Saw two large groups of 40+ birds near feed lots on private. Roads in some areas were washing out from snow melt, some tree lines that were drifted in got enough melt to let some birds back in. Walking back to the car after shooting hours saw about 15 birds roosting in the trees which was a cool sight.

I’m going to try these last two weekends, but it’s been a tough and frustrating season in Colorado for me. I have also hunted SW Nebraska several times as well with good success on sharptails but not much at all for pheasants. Still, it’s fun to go out and watch my dog work!!

I gave NE Colorado a try last Sunday. Lots and lots of snow. One minute I’m walking on top of 3’-4’ drifts and then I’m waist deep for no apparent rhyme or reason! Made for an interesting walk! We did see a few, but the birds within shooting range were hens! Always fun to get out!

Wow, no posts in the CO tab since November! I hunted 3 days in western NE the weekend before the CO opener. I joined a long-time group for
3 days in SoDak near Winner over the weekend that CO opened. I was able to accept a last minute invitation to be a fill-in with another group in SoDak
the weekend after Thanksgiving. So 10 days so far with my now 10 mo. old lab pup and he's doing pretty well. Based on my pre-season scouting of eastern CO around Yuma and Holyoke, and reports I've got back since then, I may not go out in January.
Tom
Pair of Labs I was wondering does it he Pheasant for Ever chapter up there still have their sporting.clays shoot and if so have they already had it. Thanks
Jim

Back