Coldest hunt you've been on

Back in 2006 or so I had access to 120 acres of private land south of Hutchinson, MN.

My Brittany and I hunted in about a foot of fluffy snow that afternoon. Spent about 2 hours on the place. Birds were there some ran, some flushed wild ... but not all the birds left on the first pass or even second.

After about 40 birds, a half dozen points on roosters and two in the bag we headed back to the truck. As I drove into Hutchinson all the local signs said the temperature was -10 to -15F. Looked at my truck thermometer and it was -12F.

I grew up in ND ... typically would not hunt below 0 with the dogs.

Hunted late season wild turkeys in -35F ... truck broke down on the way home.

Often ice fished in -20F weather ... if calm. Only had a mora hand auger ... we stopped going when the auger could not cut through the entire ice ... extensions not easy to find back then.

We would spot and stalk (yes road hunted - but I am pretty sure never had a shot from the road) Red Fox and Huns in the late 70s and early 80s in weather that would easily be -20F or lower with wind chills far below that. You would see a fox curled up on a hillside out of the wind and figure out how to get close enough (wore all whites) for a shot with our .243. On the Huns you would spot a flock out in a field. We would glass them and if they stayed put and the flock was greater than 7 or 8 ... we would put a sneak on them. We would limit our kill to 2 per flock. Flocks of 6 or so were given a pass.

60below.jpg
Just kidding...wind can be more important than temperature.
I went out this past Monday at 9F degrees but it warmed up to
12F degrees with the sun and had to take my hat/glove off climbing slopes.
This morning was warmer but the wind chill made it much worse than Monday.

05ECC5EB-5BA1-4FE2-ADE9-EE4A2B1336BF.jpeg

30 below wind chill in Indiana hunting old railroad right of ways in 2000. One side was blown shut so we used two vehicles and parked a mile apart and hunted one way and then leap frogged down the railroad. We did get a couple of birds if my memory serves me correctly.

This is my friend and his dog Star when we were warming up in the truck. Best dog I have ever hunted over or been around in my life. Those are pheasant feet on the dash.

Hunted this past week in the -17 to -9 range. Having the right layers makes all the difference. Plus toe and hand warmers. I was hoping the cold with help the birds hold but they still flushed super wild.

Several times in -20F plus windchill. The toes and fingers are always the thing that gets cold for me.

2015 first week in January in SC South Dakota. Ugh, was it brutal... it's the wind that gets me. Great hunting though. Birds trying to fly into the wind is always a riot 🤣 🤣 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_5040.JPG
    IMG_5040.JPG
    674.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5044.JPG
    IMG_5044.JPG
    607.9 KB · Views: 19
I’m guessing tomorrow. Supposed to be 7”fresh snow, 2 degree temps , winds around 20 in NC Kansas. Today was awesome.
That’s cold. I don’t do well in single digits. I’m heading to nc kansas Sunday. Supposed to start at -7 but gonna warm up and no wind

Last edited:
That’s cold. I don’t do well in single digits. I’m heading to nc kansas Sunday. Supposed to start at -7 but gonna warm up and no wind
I'm with you B.D. I'm looking at weather now. I was heading to Iowa for the last week there, but now looking at K.S. They are going to get some snow also, But milder temps! I've done some ridiculous Temps. and snow! But don't care for it now. Last time I was in NC KS. there was a lot of hunters. Still Like that?

I'm with you B.D. I'm looking at weather now. I was heading to Iowa for the last week there, but now looking at K.S. They are going to get some snow also, But milder temps! I've done some ridiculous Temps. and snow! But don't care for it now. Last time I was in NC KS. there was a lot of hunters. Still Like that?
I don’t see that many but I’m probably hunting a little bit east of where you’re hunting. I’m more of a sw Kansas guy but day tripping and maybe getting a late start nc is a little shorter drive

I don’t see that many but I’m probably hunting a little bit east of where you’re hunting. I’m more of a sw Kansas guy but day tripping and maybe getting a late start nc is a little shorter drive
Yeah, me to on the S.W. I've had some big times hunting the pivots. But the birds fizzeled out. Are they back some?

Might not be the coldest single day I’ve been out but spent a week in Montana hunting out of a tent camp. Never saw temps above 0 the entire time. Bird hunting was good though. Been back last 20 years in a row to hunt there. And yes it was windy the entire time.

Back