Cold weather safety/warm dog vest question.

padave

Hi all,
I was curious as to which winter dog vest people here use for short hair ( not labs ) dogs.
I’ve hunted with labs for years, taking granted that my labs love swimming or being out doors in ANY weather.
I recently added a pointer in the mix, her breed is from a dry arid warmer climate and any thing below 40* she’ll shiver the whole day. I have a thin orange vest for her but it’s only for safety reasons.
I’m looking for something that can withstand thorns sticker bushes etc. also something that will keep her warm and a bright color.
I’ve looked through Amazon and various hunting dog supply shops.
Was wondering if anyone has any input on the subject?

Just be careful with neoprene. My pointer has little hair compared to most breeds and after half a day hunting it wore the skin off both arm pits. It was bad. She was out of commission for two weeks.keep that in mind when fitting and trimming.

Just be careful with neoprene. My pointer has little hair compared to most breeds and after half a day hunting it wore the skin off both arm pits. It was bad. She was out of commission for two weeks.keep that in mind when fitting and trimming.

Yes, great point. I went thru that with another dog.

I have a Sylmar that has a neoprene type lining for cold weather. Same chest protector material all around. I dont think Ive had to use it yet with my Springer but probably will at some point. She's pretty thin haired as well.

I have a GSP, he seems to handle the cold at least as well as I do, no need for a vest for warmth, but if I hunted along the rivers or creek with beavers, I would definately invest in a skip plate design. Those 12" high cut-off willows are dangerous for man and beast.

I have found that Brittanys really do not need any type of clothing when hunting upland game. I have several vests and jackets that I rarely use except during deer gun and muzzle loader seasons. My dogs are indoor dogs by the way.

I have found that ice balls in their pads is the biggest problem in cold weather hunting when snow is on the ground.

I do use a neoprene vest when hunting waterfowl since mornings are often cool and the dogs spend more time sitting.

I have a large SUV and my dogs ride inside. I would suspect the greatest chance of hypothermia could arise when transporting gun dogs in the kennels located in the bed of pick ups - especially if their is no cap or topper. If your dogs ride in back make sure they are dry and out of the wind when traveling place to place.

My dog, always rides inside my truck.Not in a dog crate.In Montana, a neoprene dog best in late November, and December is used. Browning, makes a good one.Im going to start using it more often, because it protects the chest, and belly, from cuts.

Agree with Goosemaster that protection from cuts is a better reason to cover your dog. Be careful using products that hold heat during mild and of course warm days. Dogs do not sweat and can overheat quicker than some may believe especially if covered.

Agree with Goosemaster that protection from cuts is a better reason to cover your dog. Be careful using products that hold heat during mild and of course warm days. Dogs do not sweat and can overheat quicker than some may believe especially if covered.
That's a good point
It has to be chilly out, when using neoprene vests.My dog doesn't mind .

I have always hunted with a vest on my dogs, mainly for protection. The one problem that I have seen is when hunting in snow. The snow will pack inside the vest then the dog's body heat melts the snow causing the dog to get wet. As long as the dog is moving it's usually not a problem but it you stop take the vest off, clean out the snow and dry the dog off.

My current Brittany is very thin haired and last year while hunting in the cold and snow she shut down on two different occasions. Found she had Hypoglycemia. She expended so much energy hunting and also trying to stay warm that she became Hypoglyemic. Can be a bad situation. I normally feed once a day in the evening but when I'm hunting her in cold and wet conditions I give her some kibble in the morning and take a peanut butter and honey sandwich along to give her during the hunt. You can also give some Karo syrup or just honey. Just another thing to be aware of with your dog.

That’s good advice about the snow, I’ll keep an eye out. If its anything below 45-50* she shivers, she was designed for the arid warmer weather reign of southern France ( if I got my geography correct ) she’s a braque d’auvergne, kinda looks like a smaller GSP or should I say GSP’s looks like a large braque ( inset region name ). :)

Last edited:
I have always hunted with a vest on my dogs, mainly for protection. The one problem that I have seen is when hunting in snow. The snow will pack inside the vest then the dog's body heat melts the snow causing the dog to get wet. As long as the dog is moving it's usually not a problem but it you stop take the vest off, clean out the snow and dry the dog off.

My current Brittany is very thin haired and last year while hunting in the cold and snow she shut down on two different occasions. Found she had Hypoglycemia. She expended so much energy hunting and also trying to stay warm that she became Hypoglyemic. Can be a bad situation. I normally feed once a day in the evening but when I'm hunting her in cold and wet conditions I give her some kibble in the morning and take a peanut butter and honey sandwich along to give her during the hunt. You can also give some Karo syrup or just honey. Just another thing to be aware of with your dog.

That is a good point.I hunt in snow a lot, also cold, wind, ECT. I'm going to start cleaning snow out of the vest, but mine is tight fitting.Its called a duck commander, it's made by Browning. I've had it for 15 years.Its been a great vest.

Back