CO Sept Dream Hunt!!!

henhenROOSTER!!!

If dreams came true, I would love to take the whole month of Sept off & disappear with my dog into the sunrise/sunset trying for my personal version of a CO Sept Feathered Grand Slam:

First a little dove hunting over Labor Day Wknd, followed by an attempt @ a mid-Sept CO Grouse Trifecta (blue, sharptail, sage), then squeak in a Sept teal hunt or two & round it all out with a few band-tailed pigeons somewhere in between.

Might just ditch it all & take a wild out of state road-trip in search of Sept huns, chickens & prairie grouse OR try fitting a 3-4 day wknd of that on the front or back end of things too...

"The Dream" ain't happening (at least the whole month off from work or life part), but I might see how close I can get @ pickin away at the list here & there for a day or two one by one...Life has been awful rough of late & Gawd knows I'm due for a little fun for a change. Hardly even got to bird hunt at all last year. Can you tell I've got the itch something fierce??? It ain't a crime for a man to dream is it? Anybody wanna help me try to cross at least one off the list... :D ;) :cheers:

Oops, 4got ptarmigan (would be another 1st for me) - which is very doable not far from home IF my half-century old heart, lungs & legs can handle the steep-n-deep nosebleed tromp - God willing, I do aim to give this particular one a Sept half-day ramble or two this yr!

Last edited:
Well I Can tell you are from Texas....That is one big dream...Brother and i are going to Fort Morgan Morning of Sept 3rd if you would like to tag along for some dove....and a mighty grand breakfast feast...we have hit pretty good here before...should be back by 1 or 2....Make it a great day.

Sounds like a great dream to me.:10sign: I too would love to get me a ptarmigan or two here in our high country but I have no partners to go with me. Good luck on getting out as much as you can.

@5Gen (Pete): Would LOVE to man, but I have out-of-state visitors & lots of non-hunting activities with my sweetie & some lifelong couples friends on the plate for all of Labor Day Wknd. Dang man, one of these days we're gonna finally hit the jackpot at the same time! I'm almost cryin missing out on that one with you dude (temptation is calling my name)... :eek: :D

Well....Hen Hen....Sorry you could not make it...This year 6 guys Saturday morning limits filled by 9 am.....Giggle.....did it again on Sunday by 9:30...Here is a pic for you.

@5Gen (Pete): You dirty dawg, rub it in will ya! :thumbsup:
Maybe next yr, glad you & the boyz had a good time w/limits all around. Alison Kraus & Union Station @ Red Rocks & lots of QT, cookin-out, hiking & hot tub with the wifey & some lifelong couples-friends visiting from out of state wasn't too shabby either...

My hardest decision of the month will be next wknd when the brief blue/sharptail/sage grouse & teal seasons, dove, ptarmigan, band-tail pigeon, a Sept archery mulie tag in unit 39 + a simultaneous elk tag in unit 38 (with the bulls startin to kick into pre-rut high gear) all converge. What to do, what to do??? :D

Awesome that some of you guys got on some birds. Jealous you got to see Alison Kraus, Hen, hen. As far as next weekend you can't go wrong with birds; more than one shot, you drink coffee and eat greasy breakfast food without worrying if the critters smell you, and the dog gets exercise and focus for the season. Of course this is coming from a guy who did'nt draw this year for any archery season. (I could only pick up some leftover tags for antelope does, due to deployment).

I'm sota in the same kunudrum, I've shot teal, and doves, and have not been anywhere in my travels to be able to shoot blue/sage/sharptail grouse or ptarmigan. But then the drive time, gas, and lack of a partner comes into play.

Good luck to you figuring it out.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

Welp, so much for the Sept CO bird hunting...Wound up really sick with listeria from OD'ing on Rocky Ford cantelopes for a month & missed out on the one week/wknd I really wanted to go out for blue/sharptail/sage grouse combo...Did get out a wee bit for dove opening wknd with marginal success...Brand new freezer is already full to the brim though with my son & I's two archery Bull elk this past week! ;)

Awesome that some of you guys got on some birds. Jealous you got to see Alison Kraus, Hen, hen. As far as next weekend you can't go wrong with birds; more than one shot, you drink coffee and eat greasy breakfast food without worrying if the critters smell you, and the dog gets exercise and focus for the season. Of course this is coming from a guy who did'nt draw this year for any archery season. (I could only pick up some leftover tags for antelope does, due to deployment).

I'm sota in the same kunudrum, I've shot teal, and doves, and have not been anywhere in my travels to be able to shoot blue/sage/sharptail grouse or ptarmigan. But then the drive time, gas, and lack of a partner comes into play.

Good luck to you figuring it out.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

Get stationed up at Ft. Richardson in Anchorage, AK (I was stationed at Elmendorf AFB from 91 - 94) and I shot spruce grouse (like blues), sharptails, and ptarmigan on snowshoes over by Hatchers Pass in the Palmer Valley with my old yellow lab Conan....I was alot younger then too :thumbsup:

Greg

Back