Close encounter with unknown kind

jtaylor2

I had a unsettling experience on Friday while grouse hunting on the Mt Evans SWA. My GSP starting acting birdy along a creek which was very thick with brush along the banks. She then started acting very nervous, backing up and growling while focusing intently on the thick brushy area. She barked a couple of times and backed completely away from the creek. I never saw or heard anything in the area of the creek. I assume it was a mountain lion or a bear. Have you guys ever experienced anything like this with your bird dogs?

Could have been a rattlesnake? The only time my first Pudelpointer seemed afraid of anything was a a rattler encounter. She made some noise I had never heard before and never heard again. Whatever it was, you should be glad she backed off.
________
ELWOOD ENGEL

Last edited:
It was certainly a sound like I have never heard her make before. The body language was strange too. We came back through the same area later and she did not even blink. Whatever it was had apparently left the area.

My dog flushed a coyote in SD one year. He got birdy near a tangle of bush, I moved up thinking it was a pheasant, my dog stuck his nose in and was face to face with a coyote. I yelled and the coyote took off in a sprint the other way. At first I thought it was another dog until I got a good look at it. Luckiliy my dog didn't chase after it and that was that.

That had to be quite a surprise. I have run into quite a few owls, especially in the CRP. They always startle me when they take off, usually right under your feet.

I heard something about Bigfoot being in the area. You could've bagged the fist one and been famous. Oh well, I guess he's still out there.

:cheers:

My dog was acting really funny two years ago and didn't want to go into a ditch I was trying to send her into. I big coyote came running out after her so I shot it. It rolled once then got up and ran off.

Back