Clays

Birdman2

Just got back from shooting a few rounds of trap. I would like to shoot at least twice a month off season. I am semi-retired so I have no excuses. How often do you guys practice at the range? I wish I was closer to a Sporting Clays course.

Last edited:
Almost never. Last off-season, I might have shot a few rounds for the pattern, but it has been several years since I shot any clay birds or at anything other than a rooster. Might be a good idea, but it could mess me up ... if it isn't broke....

I shoot Sporting Clays 3-4 times a month. Can't really say if it has helped my field shooting. Hasn't hurt it though.

I used to try and shoot 500 or so rounds before the season. Typically I would be on my game after that. I would like to shoot better since I have the time to practice.

I shoot every Wednesday (late afternoon) with a retired group of guys at our gun club.
I think trap is the best practice for pheasant hunting.You can be creative on a trap field. If it's a pat trap and has the wobble option make use of that...
When I first started shooting we only had trap and skeet at our gun club, and Learn how to shoot sporting clays on them. I'll say it again be creative if you get bored with standard trap.

I was taken to a hunt club and treated to Sporting Clays some years ago.

Hated it. I'm sure it is wonderful for those who like it, and can do well at it., but its charm escaped me.

I'm a pretty solid hunter. Maybe clays would be more attractive if there were ruffed grouse around here, or more than the occasional timber doodle. I shoot less well with the gun to my shoulder than I do bringing it up and tracking the bird.

Best wishes to you guys.

Let’s see, I’m with friends or my sons, the gun goes boom, the clay breaks. No retrieve on clay pieces but I know I’m giving the dog a better chance to view a solid kill and hopefully not a cripple on a live bird. I owe the bird a quick death, not half alive and not half dead. I will do my part and practice, practice and practice. Trap is 12 ga. territory, but SC and skeet are challenging sub gauge games. Challenge yourself to make the tough shot. Unless you hunt around the world wingshooting, you are limited by seasons. Great to extend our shooting skills in the USA. PULL

I used to be an avid shooter. All shooting sports. Skeet was my favorite. Not so much now. I probably shoot 5 - 6 times a year. I bought an electric thrower and a cheap lawnmower battery. I put plugs in line so I can put a 100 Ft. cord in and shoot any angle by myself. I'm impressed with the whirlybird thrower.

I shoot skeet at least 2 times/week. All low gun. In the fall we go to a random delay release which prevents you from mounting your gun as you call for the bird. It really helps when hunting wild birds. I found that when I shot a lot of high-gun trap it messed me up for field shooting. Shooting low-gun more closely emulates actual hunting. Add in random delay release and you are pretty close to the real thing, except the clays don't cackle. I recommend skeet and/or sporting clays as they help with different presentations and most of all lead. If someone misses a bird, whether it is a clay or a feathered variety, you can be pretty sure they missed because they were "high and/or behind". Most often both.

I usually get out and shoot clays once a week. I do sporting clays, trap, and 5 stand. I can hit a clay a lot better than I can a live bird, but I figure the trigger time has to help. For any game other than trap I shoot low gun i.e. unmounted at the time of the pull. Hopefully this fall I can find a hot dove field and get a little practice on winged targets before general pheasant opens.

You know I have been thinking about going to a pro, so he can point out all my issues. I have a bunch I'm sure.

Last edited:
Not really. I am very inconsistent. Anywhere from 60 something out of 100 to 70 something out of 100. Only got into the 80's once that I can remember.
Lefty, Wouldn't it be nice to be in the low 90's ?

Last edited:
For the last several years, I've shot sporting clays twice each September at work related events. I really enjoy it. Going to be in a trap league starting here in a couple weeks. We'll see how that goes, as I've never shot trap in my life. Either way, I'm thinking it should take me from hitting 95% on wild pheasants to hitting them all. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

For the last several years, I've shot sporting clays twice each September at work related events. I really enjoy it. Going to be in a trap league starting here in a couple weeks. We'll see how that goes, as I've never shot trap in my life. Either way, I'm thinking it should take me from hitting 95% on wild pheasants to hitting them all. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
That may be true...lol. Trap is much easier than the typical Sporting Clays course.

1st time I shot sporting clays the owner told me the average experienced shooter averaged about 50 the first time they shot. I scoffed then proceeded to somehow scratch down a 52! I was hooked after that. I think low gun skeet is by far the best practice. You work your way up to high teens and low twenty's and you won't shoot behind many birds!

I moved 5 years ago and there is a skeet/trap range 2 miles down the road. I have yet to shoot there. Every year I tell myself I need to. Do shoot skeet/trap/sporting clays a few times a year elsewhere though, plus some backyard clays once in a while.

I only shoot low gun, no matter what I'm shooting, skeet/trap/sporting clays. I'm not shooting any of it for competition, its always to improve my field shooting, so why not replicate it as close as possible.

Back