Clays

The last and only time I've been to a skeet-skeet/trap range was in 1992 when I went out and shot twice to complete my Hunter's Safety. I shot some snow geese this past weekend and won't shoot again until September. Then I'll fire a few hundred rounds and retire again for the summer months.

Birddude, Cheesy,

You know you are probably right about low gun skeet. That is probably the best way to practice. Chessy, You are a lucky guy. Wish I had a course that close. My closest is about 40 minutes away.
Shot sporting clays a few years ago with a guy who had never shot a shotgun before & was using an older pump somebody lent him.
No warm ups. No coaching. No nothing. He shot 47/100. 😲😲 Honest truth.
Been there. I was out shooting with a friend and he brought along one of his friends. This guy had a single shot shotgun, probably a $70 gun. He shot incredibly well. He had never been to a range. He was a great natural shot. I sure wish I had his natural abilities. I really have to work to be a decent shot.

Last edited:
Birddude, Cheesy,

You know you are probably right about low gun skeet. That is probably the best way to practice. Chessy, You are a lucky guy. Wish I had a course that close. My closest is about 40 minutes away.

Been there. I was out shooting with a friend and he brought long one of his friends. This guy had a single shot shotgun, probably a $70 gun. He shot incredibly well. He had never been to a range. He was a great natural shot. I sure wish I had his natural abilities. I really have to work to be a decent shot.
Read somewhere, beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it!

I shoot clays a couple times a week during the spring and summer. Some practice, some leagues and some sporting clays tournaments. It started out as a way to become a better live bird shooter but has turned into something else. It has helped with the live bird shooting for sure but it is not the same.

Don’t Shoot as much as I would like but in years when I get more sporting clays rounds in I can tell my wild bird shooting is better. I bought a corporate membership last fall at a fund raiser that includes 3000 birds so should only need 3 shells a dayin SD after I get through all those. 😂😂.

Usually once a year in September. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places to do it around me and the ones that are within a reasonable distance charge an arm and a leg. Clay ammo has also been difficult to find at a reasonable cost.

Usually once a year in September. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of places to do it around me and the ones that are within a reasonable distance charge an arm and a leg. Clay ammo has also been difficult to find at a reasonable cost.
That's why I finally gave it up and bought a whirlybird! What was once an hour drive to the club, Shoot a 100 bird round and drive back was about 50.00. And that wasn't to many years ago. Now it's close to 100.00. Tack on taking the wife out to eat and a bit of shopping it can quickly turn into a 300.00 day!!

Now it's close to 100.00
The last time I went on Thanksgiving weekend that's pretty much what it costed. 45 minutes to get there, 3 boxes of ammo, the sporting clays course fee, and 45 minutes to get home. It was for a bachelor party of a hunting friend so it was worth going and enjoying a lovely 40 degree sunny day in late November with some friends, but I don't see myself going more than once a year.

The other day I shot 3 rounds of trap. Total Cost was under $50.00 including ammo. It would cost me about $100.00 to shoot Sporting Clays and it would be an hour and half drive. (Another Facility) It can get expensive fast. But I need the practice.

Last edited:
The club where I shoot is $8 a round for skeet. I try to get out twice a month and shoot 2 rounds each time. I shoot the International style throw pattern with 7/8 oz loads. I shoot low gun in the FITASC style which means you have to have the gun at roughly at least 10” below the top of the shoulder and no practice mounts prior to calling for the bird.
I like skeet for the consistency. It improves my motor skills for mounting the gun which in turn helps my performance in the field. Plus it is affordable. I shot sporting clays on Saturday and for myself and my shooting partner was $105 not including shells.
I shoot sporting clays the same way. No sneak peaks. Call for the bird look for it and try to break it.

I drive to a beautiful new facility run by the University of Tennessee near Bolivar, TN. The Clays at Lone Oaks Farm. It's about 70 miles from home and I have been about once a month. Skeet and trap just went up to $8 a round and sporting clays are .50 cents a clay. If I get a cart, I usually spend about $60. It's lots of fun.

Attachments

• IMG_6919.jpg
    IMG_6919.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6922.jpg
    IMG_6922.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7270.jpg
    IMG_7270.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 8
I started shooting some sporting clays this winter while in Arizona. The Arizona Game & Fish has a wonderful shooting facility just north of Phoenix called the Ben Avery Shooting Facility. They have about every type of shooting available a guy could want. Check it out on their web site: https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/basf/

Six or seven of us would get together on Wednesdays and shoot a round of sporting clays. It was strictly for fun as we never keep score. We would normally shoot about 4 rounds at each station. They have 3 different sporting clay courses. Since I hadn't shot any type of clays for quite a few years it took a little getting use to, but towards the end of my time down there I was probably busting about 75% of the clays with my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning. Biggest issue has been finding shells. I'm down to about a flat right now. I called Scheels in Sioux Falls the other day and they have plenty of Winchester 16 ga. in #8 shot but at $17.99 a box I think they can stay on their shelves.

I started shooting some sporting clays this winter while in Arizona. The Arizona Game & Fish has a wonderful shooting facility just north of Phoenix called the Ben Avery Shooting Facility. They have about every type of shooting available a guy could want. Check it out on their web site: https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/basf/

Six or seven of us would get together on Wednesdays and shoot a round of sporting clays. It was strictly for fun as we never keep score. We would normally shoot about 4 rounds at each station. They have 3 different sporting clay courses. Since I hadn't shot any type of clays for quite a few years it took a little getting use to, but towards the end of my time down there I was probably busting about 75% of the clays with my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning. Biggest issue has been finding shells. I'm down to about a flat right now. I called Scheels in Sioux Falls the other day and they have plenty of Winchester 16 ga. in #8 shot but at $17.99 a box I think they can stay on their shelves.
Although I love my Rizzini 16's, I could still kick myself in the ass for letting my Lightning 16 get away!!

I finally figured out how. This is my fair Rlzzlni 400. Pewter finish 26 inch tubes 16 gauge. It’s my favorite. My grandson has my 500 at the moment. It’s a higher grade Prince of Wales 28 inch barrels. I’ll try to get a picture of it when I get it back.

Attachments

• 79CB5844-F46E-47A4-8201-4F511A055E94.jpeg
    79CB5844-F46E-47A4-8201-4F511A055E94.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 56B477FD-A341-4C01-BA99-79763CD48E12.jpeg
    56B477FD-A341-4C01-BA99-79763CD48E12.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 12
Back