chukar training?

bchunter

I want to continue training with my 4 month old vizsla. My question is since there is really no official chukar season in kansas would it be legal to use chukars this spring and summer to get her ready for this upcoming season. I plan on doing some gun training with her. That is why i would not be using quail or pheasant. I really don't want to use pigeons. Thanks for all the help.

LOL well you got me there. I actually use quail for my pups. I keep them in a recall pen. Put out a few and leave a few in the pen. Let the dog flush when doing quartering work then the birds return to the pen.

Seems like the last time I bought chukars they cost me about $18 per bird. You could always freeze the pigeons and use them for retrieving work. Matter of fact I have at least a dozen frozen pigeons in my freezer that I use every weekend and then re freeze. Just don't use any of them on state ground.

I do have some frozen ones for that purpose but i want to do some live bird work and shooting over her so she is ready in november. I will be doing it on private property so i will not be on any state land. I had heard that you could not use quail or pheasant even on private land if you were going to shoot them if it was not proper season. I am pretty excited about this summer. I can tell this pup is gonna be something special. She is smart as hell.

I don't know if it was legal or not, but back when Rusty was a pup, I bought a bunch of coturnix quail and used them for training. They look and act similar to bobwhites, and they are also not a game bird in Kansas.

You would want to check and make sure it's legal first, but that could be another option.

I'll be totally honest, I never checked the legality of it. I just saved my receipt to prove they were domestic quail.

I don't know if it was legal or not, but back when Rusty was a pup, I bought a bunch of coturnix quail and used them for training. They look and act similar to bobwhites, and they are also not a game bird in Kansas.

You would want to check and make sure it's legal first, but that could be another option.

I'll be totally honest, I never checked the legality of it. I just saved my receipt to prove they were domestic quail.

I don't know why i didn't think of that. We used to raise those when i was a young boy. Thanks toad. I am just itching to get her on some live birds and shooting. I hope the weather this spring and summer allow for a good hatch. I have seen pheasant this year in places i haven't seen them in 20 years. I have an email into kdwp so i hope to get a response back soon. With as nice as it is gonna be i would like to get a little done this weekend. Regardless i will get out with her both days in the field. Just may not be any shooting going on.

Did you check with the state on a commercial dog training permit. The way I read it is 20 bucks. Private land out of season banded birds. I could be completly wrong. And maybe it is only valid for a certain date. But if its a year permit and not to much paperwork it might be worth something..

The coturnix reminded me of a poultry auction they have in yoder. Its the last friday of every month. We went one night just to kill an evening. . At the end the night the dog trainers came in and bought up the sickly questionable lots. Whatever was left. Quail, ducks, pigeons, doves, chuckers ,I think even a few guinies. They pretty much bought them all.
If you got anything like that around it might be worth going too.

I want to continue training with my 4 month old vizsla. My question is since there is really no official chukar season in kansas would it be legal to use chukars this spring and summer to get her ready for this upcoming season. I plan on doing some gun training with her. That is why i would not be using quail or pheasant. I really don't want to use pigeons. Thanks for all the help.

why do you want to use chukars? they are much harder to find,set and handle as opposed to using quail.......i trained my V exclusively on quail. much cheaper to use too.

why do you want to use chukars? they are much harder to find,set and handle as opposed to using quail.......i trained my V exclusively on quail. much cheaper to use too.

I would love to train her on quail and i did when they were in season. I thought i read somewhere that you could not use them to train with if you plan on shooting them even on private land when they were not in season. That is the problem that i am running into. If i could use them that is all i would use this spring and summer because they are definitely cheaper and easier to find.

check with kansas game and fish.......when you buy pen raised birds, get a receipt and ask for the birds to be banded....i don't think you will run into any problems at all....i never did and trained my dogs in Kansas as well. but check with them to be legal all the way around, NAVHDA events use pen raised quail all year round for training and testing......shouldn't be a big deal.

check with kansas game and fish.......when you buy pen raised birds, get a receipt and ask for the birds to be banded....i don't think you will run into any problems at all....i never did and trained my dogs in Kansas as well. but check with them to be legal all the way around, NAVHDA events use pen raised quail all year round for training and testing......shouldn't be a big deal.

That makes sense. I did email them yesterday so hope to hear back soon.

Another thing to check out is if there is a limit as to how many birds you can raise with out a permit, in Michigan I believe once you get over 12 you have to get additional permits and keep extensive records on your birds. Tennessee red quail would be another option I know guys who use them with recall pens here in MI.

BC Hunter -- Are you buying the chukar from Eckman? Why not use the pigeons to get you through the initial bird work and conditioning and then buy chukar when you actually start shooting birds over her? The one thing nice about pigeons is that they fly when you release them from the trap -- some of those pen raised birds seem to take a lot of coaxing to get them up.

I would also bet that you can find somebody in your area with launchers, pigeons and blank pistols to help you out (provided you don't have them already).

BC Hunter -- Are you buying the chukar from Eckman? Why not use the pigeons to get you through the initial bird work and conditioning and then buy chukar when you actually start shooting birds over her? The one thing nice about pigeons is that they fly when you release them from the trap -- some of those pen raised birds seem to take a lot of coaxing to get them up.

I would also bet that you can find somebody in your area with launchers, pigeons and blank pistols to help you out (provided you don't have them already).

I have had her started on birds for about 7 to 8 weeks now. I am really wanting to shoot over her that is why i was wanting to go with chukar or if legal this time of year quail

Why don't you watch national bird challenge on TV. Pen released chukars are tame, don't fly well, encourage a pounce type flush because they wander around in front of the dog, not adapted to this country, unless you have basalt washes, or volcanic rock ridges. In short, heavy, slow, witless, and create a lot of problems to correct in a young dog. guenia hens are better! Huns are very good!

Did the Coturnix quail fly as good as bobwhites?

Did the Coturnix quail fly as good as bobwhites?

I've NEVER had a good experience with Coturnix. They were able to fly about as high as the dogs head and after that had to come back down again. They flew maybe, MAYBE four feet?

Great for proofing your dog.

I have heard some guys having good luck with them though. Guess it depends on where you get them.

I've used chukar a couple of times and overall, they weren't too bad. Not as explosive as GOOD PR quail but still got up and got out. Again, depends on where you get them.

Just found out that it is legal to use chukar no problem. If you want to use pheasant or quail you have to have a dog training license from what i understood

Nice thread guys. In Kansas, we have a quail and a pheasant season. As they are gamebirds, they are only legal to harvest inside the legal season unless on a controlled shooting area in their legal season, or within a permitted field trial, or under a commercial dog training permit. This includes Coturnix quail. To use a call-back pen, there is a permit for that as well. You'll need to call your local Conservation Officer to obtain these permits. Chukar are not a gamebird in Kansas and can be purchased and harvested year-round. From what I understand, they too will recall though not as strongly as quail. Quail used in dog training outside the normal season must be banded as stipulated in the regulation. Again, a nice sit-down with your CO will get this all taken care of!

On public lands, only pigeons may be used. Stocking of any animals is prohibited. This protects the native animals from disease and parasites that the tame birds might carry and preserves the integrity of the management being done on those areas. Also, commercial dog training is prohibited on our public lands. As with most things, if you're making money doing it, it is probably not permitted on our public lands.

Back