Christmas Present

Corndawg

Thinking about getting my wife a puppy for Christmas. She doesn't hunt, but I do:) Any suggestions on what dogs work best for late season ND/SD hunts?

A Field Bred English Springer Spaniel....:thumbsup::10sign:;) Would be the cats Meow, the crem dela crem.
Flabadores would drive your wife crazy. The pointy things are just not going to be the dog the wife lets sleep at the end of the bed.:D

In all honesty, just educate your self on some dogs, Narrow it down to a couple, go watch them, And then make a decision. I would not rush in to buy right away just because you find a 100$ Lab pup in the news paper for example.

But I do not recommend you make this a surprise. I had a guy try that last year, and she just about killed him, and he backed out of his reservation. I don't book surprises for any one any more;). He found out who wore the pants in his family LOL.

Talking about opening a can of ?????

The Lab......Pretty sure that's why the whole Thanksgiving idea came from.
LOL
All the best to my American Brothers...Happy Thanksgiving.

Yep......definitely the Labrador Retriever....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

A Field Bred English Springer Spaniel....:thumbsup::10sign:;) .....The pointy things are just not going to be the dog the wife lets sleep at the end of the bed.:D

Now I have to respectfully disagree. I have always hunted with English Springer's but my latest dog is a Small Munsterlander.

The best way I can describe him is a Springer that points. He has (and I am told they all do) the same happy go lucky, love people, love kids just want to be by my human that Springer's have. Oh and the wife loves him...sometimes more then me :eek:

www.dogbreedinfo.com This site tellsthe characteristics of each breed of dog and will tell which one takes the cold weather better over another.

Consider...

discussing breed options and then find an adult of the preferred breed, or check into breed fanciers' forums. Puppies are deceiving. Far better to meet an adult dog of whatever your choice than to have an unhappy spouse.

trust me on this.

Setter Pups are irresistible to women :D

Oct2011_40.jpg

I would consider a French Brittany... A little closer working than the American..

Some are not all that pretty, but you should be able to find one with good colors/mask, that the wifey will let you keep.

you might look at gundogbreeders.com, and select your state, and then the breeds you are interested in. You could go visit some breeders, and see the adult dogs they have. most bird dog breeders are just getting into their DOWN time, and most would love to show off their dogs, and their performance. Spend the time now, to find what you want, because we ALL are so PROUD of our breeds, we really cant be objective , you have to decide what makes you happy. Also what type of hunting are you doing the most, ie pheasants, and some waterfowl? Or sharptails, and huns thrown in? Many dogs excel in parts , but few excel in All facets of bird hunting.

Another vote for the Brittany they are wonderful hunter/pets and they love my wife and she loves them more......Bob

Pointing lab; tough enough to get through heavy cover smaller dogs can't, and able to survive COLD late-season weather while the wimpy dogs stay in the kennel.

CRP you haven't seen Uncle Buck's poodle pointer pix, have you? Yikes. And that's coming from a die hard Lab guy...

Back