Chokes for 20 ga.

870-Lefty

Would I.C. & Mod. be O.K. for a 20 ga. shooting 2&3/4" 1oz.#5's on wild Pheasants in S.D. or would L.M.& I.M. be a better choice? This would be for second week of Nov. and I am not sure wether the dogs will be flushers or pointers.

The type of dogs and also the type of hunting might dictate your choke choice but there isn't much difference between the two combinations you have indicated here. Personally I would start out with the IC/Mod. If you feel you need more constriction you can always change tubes. You might also think about trying some #6 shot. I don't shoot anything larger than #6 in my 16 ga. Probably be a good idea to pattern a few loads with the various chokes.

Which Chokes?

I would agree with Dakota regarding shell size - more pellets in 6's.

My gun seems to pattern fine with improved cyl. for most of the season and I use 7.5 shells, although I use a dog and seldom take the long shots.

Last season I had a box of 3", 1.25 oz, #6 copper magnum from a friend. I was able to reach birds that normally I wouldn't consider. This shell would give you a comparable hit to a 12 ga. shell. I didn't use my dog (blind) hence the shift to taking longer shots.

i personally shoot a 20 gauge with I/C and modified on pheasants with #5's year round. I must be a poor shot because i very rarely butcher one, even in early season. My dad shot a model 37 12 gauge full choke all the time, and i don't remember him missing many. Best thing to do is get out and pattern and practice. I think half the battle is in my head anyway.

i personally shoot a 20 gauge with I/C and modified on pheasants with #5's year round. I must be a poor shot because i very rarely butcher one, even in early season. My dad shot a model 37 12 gauge full choke all the time, and i don't remember him missing many. Best thing to do is get out and pattern and practice. I think half the battle is in my head anyway.

No offense intended, but it sounds like your dad was a better shot than you. I have a friend with an Ithaca 37 FC, and it shoots really tight patterns with modern ammo, although maybe not so tight back in the day of fiber wads.

Yes, the battle is always in your head. Many times I've missed two or three easy shots, slapped myself upside the head, and powdered the next birds.

If there's a better combo than IC/MOD, I don't know what it is. If you can't kill most every bird with that...................well, shotgun shooting is pretty much always in your head. Practice, practice, practice, until the gun points itself.

Back