Chief upland vest

mdog

Looking for opinions from anyone who's actually used one in the field ... looks pretty good to me. I'm 5'9" and 150lb so interested as to how well it sizes down. Thanks for the input!

I haven't tried the Chief, although I have been tempted to purchase one. Last year I purchased the L.L. Bean Men's Technical Upland Vest Pack. I love it. I chose the L.L. Bean vest after reading many reviews on different vests and packs. The selling point for me was the 1 year return policy on the vest if you don't like it. Who doesn't like a free trial?

I carry quite a bit of medical supplies for my dogs, and this vest holds all of it without having to cram things into multiple pockets. The only thing I would change about it, is the size of the water bottle holders. They are a little large, which could allow smaller bottles to fall out unexpectedly. The best part is being able to put all the weight on your hips and not your shoulders, so they never get tired.

I am impatiently waiting on mine. I ordered it on pre-order and was sure it would be here before Thanksgiving, but I still don't have it. I have heard that it is awesome and worth the wait.

Jake, the owner of the company appears to be a great guy and is working his tail off.

I just received my Chief upland before Christmas - I have only had the chance to take it out one time so far- it is extremely customizable- Almost too much- I can’t decide where I want all of the stuff and what setting I want the side straps on- I have a lot of first aid stuff that I carry in the back pouch that is heavy- I bought 2 quick grab Ammo pouches, there are 10 easy load shell holders inside and 3 outside, can grab them very fast and easy. I carry a full box at all times - 2 water bottle holders that each have 20oz of water, and I bought the pouch for your phone/handheld unit- although I’m not sure if I’ll keep it on being there is a handheld holder built into the left strap of the vest - which is super convenient ! I also bought the gun holder attachment which is nice to use from time to time. With all of this and a bird in it the other day, I can say that the vest did not move and did not hang at all on my shoulders. Coming from a Browning Bird n Lite it’s going to take some getting used to but the first trial run went very well. I feel like it’s going to take a few runs to figure out exactly where I want everything set but once I do it is going to be a phenomenal vest ! Happy to provide more pics or answer any questions 9015D86B-FA4C-4F2D-9706-EFF906E88D56.jpeg11FF6A71-ACBD-4760-8452-16A9A4A4D725.jpegA9DEA38E-D955-4F92-B25E-B7AF6B226576.jpeg

That is like a swiss army knife! Not going to model it for us? The dogs seem unimpressed, but it looks like they did their job.

Last edited:
I just received my Chief upland before Christmas - I have only had the chance to take it out one time so far- it is extremely customizable- Almost too much- I can’t decide where I want all of the stuff and what setting I want the side straps on- I have a lot of first aid stuff that I carry in the back pouch that is heavy- I bought 2 quick grab Ammo pouches, there are 10 easy load shell holders inside and 3 outside, can grab them very fast and easy. I carry a full box at all times - 2 water bottle holders that each have 20oz of water, and I bought the pouch for your phone/handheld unit- although I’m not sure if I’ll keep it on being there is a handheld holder built into the left strap of the vest - which is super convenient ! I also bought the gun holder attachment which is nice to use from time to time. With all of this and a bird in it the other day, I can say that the vest did not move and did not hang at all on my shoulders. Coming from a Browning Bird n Lite it’s going to take some getting used to but the first trial run went very well. I feel like it’s going to take a few runs to figure out exactly where I want everything set but once I do it is going to be a phenomenal vest ! Happy to provide more pics or answer any questions View attachment 921View attachment 923View attachment 924
How do you like it compared to the bird n lite? At first impression? I've been debating getting a new strap vest myself. I love the bird n lite so I was thinking of getting their new version for the couple little enhancements they've made but open to ideas.

Thanks for the response hanesie. I'm also interested in how you would compare it to the bird n lite? At 150 lb and 32" waist I have concerns over a vest that I can get small enough ... not sure that the bird n lite would be as suitable as the Chief.

And Happy New Year!

We dont wear hunter orange.
That is fine in well in states that don't require, but in those that do this is a great option. Rather be seen then shot!

Thanks for the response hanesie. I'm also interested in how you would compare it to the bird n lite? At 150 lb and 32" waist I have concerns over a vest that I can get small enough ... not sure that the bird n lite would be as suitable as the Chief.

And Happy New Year!
I'm 170 at 34" waist 42" chest and the large Pella Bird-n-Lite upland strap vest fits me fine.
I'm on my second one as the fabric that the cargo pockets are made of tore up pretty bad on the first one.
I may get around to doing some repairs with that thinking of attaching military grade cargo pouches in place.
The fabric on the cargo pockets are pretty much my only complaint.
I also did remove the padding and some webbing in the front of the shoulder strap on my shooting arm as it interfered with shouldering properly especially for quick shots. Shoulder strap thickness and positioning and extra straps on the shooting arm are somethings I'd be concerned about with any vest or pack for upland hunting. I also prefer strap vests as they aren't as hot and sweaty to use in warm weather.

Last edited:

And Happy New Year!
i am 6'6 205#- there is plenty of adjustments to get it to fit your height. my wife is 5'3 125# and i can actually adjust it down to fit her half decent- i have been using my Bird n Lite XL/XXL for 10 years. it has done me well but was starting to fall apart specifically the shell pockets and water bottle holders. that vest was never in my way and fit me very well. I like the Chief vest, it has so many options - it does not move when youre running or walking. the complaint i had about the bird n lite was the shells would shake and rattle all over because there are only holders for 5 in each pocket. I am extremely used to the bird n lite and comfortable with it, i have a newer one that i didnt care for- not sure why it is different but it just is?? i figured id give this a try , i like trying new things all of the time. ive only gone a few times as a lot of snow and not many birds has put a damper on the season here in PA - i havent got it exaclty how i want it yet , it is different the way it feels on vs the Bird N Lite but it has not been in my way yet - the shoulder straps stay nice and tight like the browning vest and are not any hinderance when shooting- that was my main concern as some of these backpack style vests have padded shoulders and i cant stand that.

The Chief looks to be very similar design to the Q5 Centerfire that was finally delivered to me when the season was over last January. Seems to me the primary reason to get a Q5 or Chief is to carry more gear. Hunting out here in western ND I tend to carry a lot of gear and the Q5 has so many pockets & pouches that a guy practically needs a spread sheet to keep track of what is where, the Chief looks to be the same. The price for that capability is a heavier, bulkier vest. Oh yeah, the price was part of the price too, Q5 wasn't giving that vest away! I think it will work well for me, though.

The last several years I've used a Tenzing Upland Vest/Pack which worked well, but it was a pain to get into the shell pockets and the game pouch was pretty small. Last year as an interim measure and because I felt like it, I bought a Browning Bird-N-Lite at the beginning of the season. It is probably the best traditional type strap vest I've used and it quickly became my go-to vest. It had just enough carrying capacity for most situations and a reasonably good sized game pouch. I suspect that even now having the Q5, that BIrd-N-Lite will still get a lot of work...

Attachments

• Q5vest.jpg
    Q5vest.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 14
I ordered one during their Black Friday deal and got it around Christmas also, I believe. I hunted in it through April and absolutely love it. Now, I don't have your problem of sizing down, I was wondering if they made a bigger belt to size up and they do. Thankfully I didn't need it and the standard belt is pretty adjustable. I think Hanesie hit on a lot of it. I love the shell holders and the magnetic closures are nice and strong. Honestly, I am not that organized and didn't use the shell loops, I would just dump shells in the pocket. They are plenty big, I use one for shells and one for misc gear. I also got the gun rest attachment as it was included in the bundle but I don't love it...not saying it is bad but I found that I didn't really use it. The vest is customizable as you can configure it to your exact specs and it is very durable. The cordura fabric is thick and I don't worry at all about busting through any thorns or rough stuff. The standard shoulder strap mesh pocket fits a Garmin 550 remote perfectly. Also expands nicely and has plenty of capacity for birds. I think it's a really nice vest and I would buy one again.

Back