Chaps/ Brush Pants

Spence

Well looks like its about time to get a new pair. I've been wearing the same pair of Carhartt Brushpant bibs for a long time or just a pair of regular old carhartts.

Any recommendations?? I love my Birdnlite vest (Which is a Pre-Browning Model) so I was looking at their brushpants. Now that they are made by Browning I'm a little leary. I'm a die-hard browning shotgun guy, but they do not make good clothing.

For early season I like the new Early Season Uplands from Cabelas, very light and roomy. For later I have Wrangler brush pants, essentially jeans with facings, and they have held up well.

Last edited:
Brush pants...

I also have a pair of Wrangler Brush pants - at least 10 years old. Caught them on lots of barb wire, but otherwise have held up well. I tried on several different brands and the Wrangler fit the best and was a great price. They are, however, too hot for early hunting.

The heat and sweating keeps me using two sets chaps, lite vented variety from Lion Country Supply, and a older pair of Wick Industry chaps, alas no longer available. My next set will be from Nightlite Co. great sizing options, and price. Or Working Mule Company,extremely well built in America by Amish in Pa. I wore carhartt hunting bibs for years, but the weight especially when wet, weaned me on to chaps, after a brief fling, ( one day), of the Browning PF bibs, which look good, but came home in shreds. Browning, is the worst wearing option. Filson great quality, tremendously heavy weight and stiff , will stand up on their own, and at designer cost, worthy of H&H. Any of the pure unvented nylon chaps, you will sweat clear through you jeans on even 35 degree days in my experience.

I have had the Gander Mountain Brush Buster pants for 3 years, they are on sale for 39.99. They have held up nicely, not a hole or rip in them. I just bought the Cabelas Gore Tex upland pants, so we'll see how those hold up.

I wear Riggs Work Pants by Wrangler with Gander Mtn. cheapo chaps and they work great.

I've been wearing the same pair of Filson Tin Cloth chaps for longer than I can remember.

I like filson single tins chaps most of the year...when its really warm early seasono then i roll with some wrangler brush pants. They are not great but decent for the price....Single tins rock.

Early season: lite khakis and very lite chaps...legs sweat too much. Have a pair of Boyt chaps I bought years ago - a bit ripped from the b. wire, but still work well over the Wrangler Brush Pant.

When it's raining or heavy dew - lite khakis and rain pants.

Takes lots of gear, doesn't it??

Filson tin chaps for me too! They get the job done and last forever! I just cleaned mine and rewaxed them the other day.

I like the Filson pants late season but they're too hot for me early. They are indestructible and I cannot even remember how many years I have owned them. It probably took 3 years to break them in too.

I just got a pair of LL Bean hunting waterproof hunting khakis or chinos. Have worn them in the field and they're cool, seem to be rugged enough to last quite a few seasons and pretty waterproof. They get wet but not on the inside. Was afraid they'd be too hot for me but I think they're going to be a really good option for most of my hunting.

I'm afraid they can't take a full barrage of our quail hunting habitat which is miles of rose, thorns, snags, prickers and every sort of nasty, thorn-ed, spiked and hellacious plant ever invented but I'm going to give them a try!

Hmmm, have not heard about these pants. I believe Cabala's has similar, but they are expensive. Assume these would work better than rain pants! Will take a look. Give us a report as the season progresses. Thanks for the tip.

Filson and 511 tactical pants

I really like my Filson single tin cloth chaps. They are heavy and old school, but they work and last. I bought 511 tactical pants 65percent ripstop nylon and 35 percent cotton, so they dry pretty quick and don't rip.

My next pair is going to be filson's. I've yet to buy a pair that didn't have some part of the stitching start to come apart after one season.

I'm really hard on stuff, I've wrecked boots in one season too but I think the filsons will last for me.

Bigblue

Have a pair of Cabelas gore text 6 years old they are great, and a pair that is 2 years old they are completely diff from older they have changed them, dont like new ones at all.

It's an old thread but there's something nobody mentioned. I have some old very heavy chaps that I wear in Star Thistle fields. Chaps cut way down on the pain but they also funnel crap and stickers down inside between your pants and the chaps. Walking through briars...no problem. Walk through stuff that breaks off...eventually as bad as not having them on at all.

Oh, they're great for weed eating.

Back