Changing dog food

I ask because I feed ppp sport 30/20 1.25 cups twice a day. May go up to 3.5 or 4 cups total during season.
73ib Weims

I actually mix 26/16 pp beef and rice with 26/16 Inuk. marine , off-season. And 26/16x 30/25 marine on season. So like 28/20. The peake goes 60-65 and gets 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 once a day. And the Boykin goes 45-50 and gets 1 3/4-2 and and too many free lunch’s from the girls at the flower shop
The Boykin gets itchy with out the marine in the diet

I made the switch to Inukshuk 30/25 a few months back. I didn't think there was room for improvement with my dogs coats, but I noticed a change within a short time, my wife even noticed. I definitely feed less than I was before. The older two dogs get 1 1/4 cups a day in the offseason, they are both 34-36#. The youngster is weighing in around 40# and gets a heaping cup twice a day. Buying through Chewy I'm right at $100/month right now, that will go up as the temps start to cool off. I wish there was a reseller close by, but right now it's at least a 2.5 hour drive one way. My wife might complain about some of my spending habits, but when it comes to our dogs, she never bats an eye.

Last edited:
Do any of you guys feeding the high protein and high fat food have any issues with your dogs putting on excess weight? I have a spayed female Brittany and use to feed PPP 30/20 but she would add weight. I switched few years ago to PPP 26/16 and she does better. Still has more than enough energy and stamina. I have always fed once per day year round. Off season she gets 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups per day. Hunting season I kick up the amount to 2 - 2 1/2 cups depending on how long and hard she has hunted that day. I try to keep her at a healthy and lean 35 lbs.

I fed a 30/20 food before switching to the Inukshuk 30/25. I didn't cut their rations back quickly enough and the older two dogs put on a couple of pounds right away. They were pretty shaggy at the time...that's my excuse, anyway. It didn't take much time to get them back down to their normal weights. I think I will switch them over to the 26/16 next off season. The younger dog will stay on the 30/25 year round, at least until he fills out a bit, I just can't keep weight on him.

Since you feed high protein / high fat to keep the weight on it should be obvious older less active dogs will put on weight.

Since you feed high protein / high fat to keep the weight on it should be obvious older less active dogs will put on weight.
We have a Vizsla at home who will be 11 soon. She doesn't hunt anymore and she gets PPP Sensitive Skin and Stomach which is 26/16. She gets 2 cups a day but would eat 10 cups if I put it in her bowl. Always been a big eater. Her food is actually the most expensive food I buy but she is my wife's constant companion and best buddy and I am not brave enough to suggest she get a less expensive food.

I also feed Inukshuk 30/25 and am actually a reseller. We switched from a couple of the big name 30/20 feeds and never looked back. My labs thrive on it, we hunt/guide in the fall and train and run tests in the spring and summer.
The key is to find a reseller because chewy is definitely making money on it. Last pallet I ordered the 30/25 and 26/16 were under 50 a bag.

and now Viktor just announced a recall. FWIW
Im sticking with Diamond Naturals from TSC as long as I can still get it locally. 40 lbs / $44.00. Menards recently disco'd it in favor of Viktor.

and now Viktor just announced a recall. FWIW
Im sticking with Diamond Naturals from TSC as long as I can still get it locally. 40 lbs / $44.00. Menards recently disco'd it in favor of Viktor.
I’d have stayed with it too if I could buy it at menards and get the 11% rebate…the version I was using was about $37 for a 40 lb bag…before the rebate and tax…

Im still using PPP 30/20. 70/bag everywhere since it's mfg contract priced. 4 cups a day. But the dog responds well to it, and Purina does a ton of non profit hunting/conservation work around here so I like to support them. They have donated to most public land purchases/rehabs in my area, as well as donated to every dog training land purchase as well as the kennel clubs/trials. They also donate pallets of foods/treats for free to conservation group banquets so they can auction them off.

Back