Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I hunt a Boykin she puts up a lot of birds my other dog overruns or birds that try to double back. Good on dead birds. Good on quail singles. Makes a good team but I don’t know if I’d hunt her as a primary dog. First one so I don’t know. Like every dog there’s a lot of variation I’m sure. A year old so she may come into her own next year.
The best house dog ever if it’s something your wife is looking at. You have to do your homework because some of them are totally nuts. Edit I shouldn’t say nuts but some come with health problems and others will swallow about anything

Last edited:
Delightful house dogs, very loving, not a negative bone in their body, liked to retrieve and chase chipmunks. Long list of potential health issues.
If a sparrow bounced off a window and landed in the bushes, they would find it. I gave up sparrow hunting years ago. Nice expensive house dogs.
Our family owned two of them.

Delightful house dogs, very loving, not a negative bone in their body, liked to retrieve and chase chipmunks. Long list of potential health issues.
If a sparrow bounced off a window and landed in the bushes, they would find it. I gave up sparrow hunting years ago. Nice expensive house dogs.
Our family owned two of them.
Not sure about the King Charles, but I think you will find a lot of people that disagree with you about Boykins.
They have a drive that won’t quit, excellent nose and great retrievers. Have had ours on quail, pheasants and ducks. The sandburs in South Dakota are tough, but she never wanted to stop. Yes, they are good house dogs, but reading other posts, I think we all treat our dogs as family. Everyone has their favorite breed and that’s why we each have what we do, but I wouldn’t trade our Little Brown Dog for any other.

I've never heard of anyone hunting Cavalier King Charles.
I have spent a fair amount a time around a couple Boykins, the older one is a spitfire that I would hunt over anytime, the other is only about 14 weeks old and loves to retrieve and wrestle with the big dogs. Only time will tell

Birddude how’s your experience with them been?
I've never even seen one the question was have you ever heard of one. I read stuff the same way sometimes browndog! I have seen several King Charles though. They only hunt grub and laps! I've read a lot about the Boykin, Fascinating. The story ran through my mind once when I saw a golden/cocker cross. Th guy said the bitch had 3 golden likes and three cocker likes and that one. It was a buitiful dog 45-50 lb. miniture golden born with a bob tail.

A lot of size variation too. Last trip to the scale mine a female came in at 49.6 . Her mom was about 38. Dad came out of a sought after litter. two of the dads littermates a male and a female ended up at what Id consider top 5 kennels. The male just sired a couple of litters of pups.

Mine has what I've heard in boykin circles called a hesitant flush. Which in her case is a gentlemanly way of saying no flush. Her retrieve iis a little weak, probably end up force fetching her
If it sounds like Im down on her I'm not.
In certain situations she's great. She lost the first pheasant I shot over her and not another one the rest of the year, and picked up quail I know we would have never found without her.
You'd be surprised how many birds are walked over. Ones that in the past Id say oh that bird must of run off or flown out to feed. The boykin would sort it out.
Additionally she has no quit and will hunt all day

Where she comes up short besides the things mentioned above is in air scenting and the ability to work a track quickly,
In the big public land crp patches I hunt she's just not as affective as the leg on a retriever sized dog

A lot of size variation too. Last trip to the scale mine a female came in at 49.6 . Her mom was about 38. Dad came out of a sought after litter. two of the dads littermates a male and a female ended up at what Id consider top 5 kennels. The male just sired a couple of litters of pups.

Mine has what I've heard in boykin circles called a hesitant flush. Which in her case is a gentlemanly way of saying no flush. Her retrieve iis a little weak, probably end up force fetching her
If it sounds like Im down on her I'm not.
In certain situations she's great. She lost the first pheasant I shot over her and not another one the rest of the year, and picked up quail I know we would have never found without her.
You'd be surprised how many birds are walked over. Ones that in the past Id say oh that bird must of run off or flown out to feed. The boykin would sort it out.
Additionally she has no quit and will hunt all day

Where she comes up short besides the things mentioned above is in air scenting and the ability to work a track quickly,
In the big public land crp patches I hunt she's just not as affective as the leg on a retriever sized dog
Every great dog has its quirks! Is there pics on here somewhere?

Back